Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - broody waiting for fertile eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:22 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi, I have never hatched chicks under a broody before but just wondering,my hen has gone broody yesterday but the eggs ive ordered will not arrive till wednesday or Thursday so she would have been broody for a week before those eggs get here,is the hen ok to sit for the week before and the 3 weeks it takes to hatch them or should I get some eggs under her quicker ?
thanks for advice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:08 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Time wise she will be fine - a week to prove her commitment, especially for a first timer is good, just make sure she has something temporary to look after ( fake eggs, supermarket eggs or golf balls) if she doesn't already have something. Dust her with something for lice - a sitting hen is a target.
What sort of eggs have you ordered?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi sue, ive left a couple of eggs with her and I wanted to move her into a crate on her own so she can sit in peace and the eggs don't get mixed up with the non fertile ones the others will deposit in the nestbox,one thing with that though,should I leave the crate door open so she can come and go as she wants or should I lock her in there ? ive ordered campine eggs,beautiful breed !!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I would shut her in or at least limit her to a small area until you are sure she is settled and knows where her nest is. Set her up in a secure area where she can come out to exercise and where the chicks will be safe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:03 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thanks sue !! I may have to rearrange crates to make more room for the hopefully mother to be