Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - help. hen plucking chicks wing feathers!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:27 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

HELP! we woke up this morning to one of our almost week old chick's wings bleeding. :( it looks like mum has plucked it's new little feathers out. I took the chick away. what do i need to do to treat it. should i try putting it back in?
Poor little thing. It was one that was "dusty" looking, I wonder if she was trying to clean it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

so maybe the chick did it to itself and then mum pecked at the blood. The chick just grabbed the end of her wing and wouldn't let go...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:04 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

So the chick is pecking at itself?

Pecking at the feathers is serious thing as it can (not necessarily but can) lead to a lot of bleeding. If it's the hen doing it I'd keep the chick away from her and seriously consider taking all the chicks away from her. Observe her and the chicks closely to see what she's doing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:50 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

pretty sure it's just doing it to itself. we kept it separated all yesterday and the bleeding all cleared up quite quickly while we prevented it from making it worse although it tried. but it went crazy and stressed at the time mum usually takes them all to bed and we couldn't get her to stop plucking and settle for the night so i put her back under mum. it settled right away and this morning seems fine- although has been "preening" again but so far not being pecked at by the others. hopefully mum keeps it busy today.

I actually feel better knowing that it's doing it to itself. At the moment i think it's best chance is with mum to reduce its stress, If it does make itself bleed again and doesn't make it then i guess that's just the way things work :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If there are any red/raw areas showing, paint them with some blue food colouring otherwise they will attract the others to peck at it - that may lead to a serious general problem. I have had the odd pecked one (mainly on the head). They have nearly always survived with some 'blue' treatment. If you need to isolate it again do so with a companion.
There are some bittering sprays that you can get to discourage pecking - one is 'stop pick' for birds (pet shop) or you could try 'stop n grow' for finger nails.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

thanks! I didn't have any food colouring this morning so put some of my kids water colour paint on till I could buy some this arvo. no sign of blood or infection today but still plucking a bit- not as much as yesterday. She spent most the day trying to stay under mums feathers. I've also had to clean her butt a few times. I let Noir (mum chicken) take them out for a walk this arvo and this one had trouble keeping up. I just kept an eye on it while it stood in the sun till Noir finally let them have a rest under her. The others were eating anything Noir showed them. when she took them back in this one went right to the food. (could it be having trouble learning to eat??) It's a good 24hrs younger than the other 2.

Attachments:
P9249308.jpg
P9249308.jpg [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 485 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

so the blue chick didn't make it. It had heaps of trouble doing poos and i had to keep cleaning its butt. it as eating and drinking ok but just wanted to sit under mums feathers all the time. in the end it looks like it got kicked or squashed while mum had a dustbath. :( poor little blue chick.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:05 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Sorry to hear that... It does sound like all was not well with this little one from the start, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

yes. in some ways it's good. i wonder if it had some developmental issue. Something was wrong and it's good that it got to live with it's mum mostly happy for a week and as my daughter said if something was wrong with it we would have had trouble latter on. I was happy not to have to think about culling it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

There is always some relief when that happens.