Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - taking chicks off mum

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: taking chicks off mum
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi, I have another question,i was going to leave the hen to raise the chicks but it is safer for me to put them in a brooder after they hatch, I will feel really slack taking them away from her will it upset her too much ? is their a particular time I should take them ? how long will she pine for them if at all ?
thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well, I am relatively new to this, but have had success with all hatches in the coop and chicks being raised by the broody hen. That's got to be easier than setting up a brooder and then maintaining everything in the manner that mimics what nature intended?
I don't have a brooder or anything other than broody hens to raise chicks with, so no choice. ..... Why not keep an eye on things and act in response to your observations? If the broody has been consistent on the nest, you will probably have a much easier job letting her do what comes naturally at hatch time than having to maintain brooding conditions and then finding a way to introduce the chicks to the coop later on...... Good luck! It is truly fun watching mum do her job...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thanks okaru but I have to take them away as there are 5 cats that are out all day,my 2 and neighbors 3,my 2 are fine with chooks but if they see chicks that will be the end of them so im not risking it, ive got a brooder ready to go,i hope mum wont be too stressed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mum will be fine very soon after the chicks go. Chooks really don't get emotionally attached to their offspring (no matter how much we want them to have human emotions). Nature has geared things that way because young animals in the wild are very vulnerable. Most parents will defend their offspring - that is about preserving their reproductive energy and their genes but many will almost immediately start preparing to reproduce again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I would be very surprised if a cat gets any, as hens with young chicks get very aggressive, and a cat that gets attacked by a chook in this manner usually bolts, same for me :hiding :rofl: . Small dogs too will run a mile if the hen attacks. Crows are what can take them more often, we have wood ducks at work who used to raise quite a few ducklings but once the crows moved in they are lucky to have any survive. They pick them off one by one. :mmaad really upsetting, there is a family now, was 10 ducklings now down to 3 in a space of 4 days :aaargh: .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thanks for all your good advice ive managed to knock together a fairly large run using big dog crates put together with fine bird netting all around it so I will put mum and chicks in there and see how things go,if things turn pear shaped I have a home made brooder ready to go anyway so I feel much better about it all now,just cant wait till hatch day to see how many I get im so excited

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi, well im at the end of day 21 and nothing happening should I be seeing at least pipping by now ? the hen has sat very well on them with no disturbances,i candled 2 eggs about day 13 and they were developing,should I be concerned now ?
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Any action yet? They are not always spot on re hatching day. If nothing is happening (maybe by the weekend) you could candle again. Check your dates - day one is the end of the first full day after setting (not the day you set) If any are pipping don't disturb them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi sue,
well no action today either but I did gently shake each egg and 5 were liquidy and 4 were firm so I left the firm ones with the hen and broke open the liquidy ones to find each seemed to have an embryo but it looks like they stopped developing around day 9, quite sad.so i'll wait till Saturday for the other 4 eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:39 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

well still nothing so I opened the last 4 eggs to find 3 partly developed and 1 that was fully feathered but dead I noticed it has a cross beak.so that was a complete failure but I don't know why,felt very sad looking at the dead chick poor thing :upset: guess that's why they say don't count your chickens before they've hatched,point taken