Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - hot weather today - eggs due to pip today - help?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:34 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi I've got the 2 remaining live eggs from a lot of 12 that came through the post due to start hatching today. I put them under our broody hen a few days ago in a separate enclosure but the weather is forecast to be very hot today. It was hot yesterday afternoon too and one time when I checked her, she was off the eggs and sitting next to them. Not sure for how long and haven't taken them from her and candled them again, so who knows?

My question is, what to do today? I have the incubator switched on ready and she's sitting on the eggs this morning. But should I take them off her back into the incubator or leave them be? I presume she and they will get very hot today in the weather, and she'll get off them again, and then, even if they don't get too cold, they may dry out?

I'm new at this. Expert advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Judy

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a hive of bees and a family of boys. And at the moment, 4 chicks... what sex will they be??¿¿¿¿

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

She will control the temp of the eggs. You need to control her temp. Remember, heat rises so if she is nesting at ground level with plenty of air flow the temp will be lower than it feels to you. Shade and ventilation/air flow are the most important things that you can manage. Soak the ground outside her pen especially on the in draught side. The evaporation will cool the air. Give her access to cool water but avoid overdoing things like frozen fruit. Once the sugar is digested her metabolism will speed up. If she is in an enclosed nest (eg mower catcher) and you can put her in something ventilated that will help. Opening a 'lid' in her pen will allow the rising hot air to exit. Don't worry about the eggs drying out - her belly will provide the moisture but if you are concerned, mist them with warm water this evening when she settles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Sue! All helpful info. I've hosed down her run a couple of times today and will take up your other suggestions. I have a way of opening the top of the dog kennel she is in, to let some of the hot air out.

I was worried about the eggs drying out if she got off them to let them cool a bit. But she has been sitting on them all day as far as I can tell.

Thanks again. :-)

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a hive of bees and a family of boys. And at the moment, 4 chicks... what sex will they be??¿¿¿¿

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well they have hatched successfully but now we have torrential rain forecast. Not sure whether to bring the whole lot indoors! i'm worried about disturbing the hen, but not sure about leaving them out in crazy storms.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:30 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Glad they hatched!

Is the nest area going to stay dry (ie free from rain or flooding) and out of the wind? If so, I’d leave them where they are. The hen will be happiest in a familiar environment and she’ll keep the chicks safe under her.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

70%cocoa wrote:
Glad they hatched!

Is the nest area going to stay dry (ie free from rain or flooding) and out of the wind? If so, I’d leave them where they are. The hen will be happiest in a familiar environment and she’ll keep the chicks safe under her.

Thanks Rach. Yep. They should stay dry and cosy. They're in a very sturdy dog kennel with lots of Drysorb wood shavings and straw and a bell waterer and chickstarter all in there with them. We are high on a hill and they are on a slope so water will just run off the roof and the whole area. I've put a wire grill over the front of the kennel to stop them adventuring out... Probably needlessly worrying, but I'm a first time chicken baby mum and so is the hen. I was like that with my own kids too! Ha ha!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

All sounds like a good set up to me :) I’d leave them there.

Totally get the worrying about it all! I’m the same!! :)