Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Raising a single silkie chick in fall/winter

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:32 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We recently got a single silkie chick that was 3 weeks old. We didn't have room for more hens in our coop with our two other laying hens, and didn't realize you should always get more then one chick. We raised her inside for four weeks, and now she is 7 weeks old. She is fully feathered, and we have been letting her outside during the day time. We are now about to go on vacation for two weeks and had hoped she would be able to stay outside in the coop with the bigger chicks that could keep her warm. However, the hens still don't like her despite her being in a "playhouse" inside of the coop for a week during the day time, and the temperatures have dropped to 5 degrees C at night (we live in California, where the weather is still dry). She spent the night outside in her playhouse that had been protected from the drafts, however I'm still worried it's too cold for her outside at night. Is this too cold for a single chick at night? How long should I wait until I put her in with the other hens? They have been spending all day next to each other and the other hens look like they still want to kill her.

Thank you for your advice!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:08 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Wait till she is fully grown before putting her in with the adult hens. It’d be best to also try to get another hen about her size and introduce them together to the older hens.

You can buy a heat lamp to keep her warm in the playhouse - these can be used outside as long as it’s in a dry and protected area (where it can’t get wet). Poultry supply and reptile supply shops/stores sell heat lamps suitable for young birds.

When you go away can you arrange for someone to come and check on them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:14 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you Rach of your advice! We will definitely have our neighbors check on them ever day, and we have a live camera that we can watch them from. I am keeping my eyes out for a chicken the same age, but unfortunately it seems to be rare for people to hatch chicks around this time of year.

Best Wishes!

Erin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:27 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I’m sure the young one will be fine while you’re away :) When you get back look for a chook about the same size, even if it’s not the same age (eg a bantam). I know it’s not always easy to find what you are after though.

If you end up not being about to find a buddy then try having the newby in with just one of your older chooks for a week, then add in the other chook. That’d be better than putting the newby in with both original chooks at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Ah - a "like" button would be so handy here.

What Rachel said Erin :)! Good luck !