Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - feeding layers chick starter/ pullet grower - what happens?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Okaru, that sounds amazing. I loved your description of how things went with the first broody hen. Roosters can be so adorable. Wish we could have one here. Are all of yours Sussex or a mixed lot? There's something particularly hilarious and chaotic about a chicken situation that is going pear shaped. We've had a few of those, including the first time we added new birds to our small flock and tried to separate them, but one of the newbies wanted to get to a nesting box URGENTLY.

Another occasion that was special was when our first pullet laid her first egg, but she was very attached to me and wanted me there keeping her company (took her several hours) and every time I walked away she came after me and pecked my feet until I came back to the nesting box with her... !

Thanks and I'll try to get some pics of the run and coops up. Now I feel I must finish painting the fence first...!

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Your descriptions made me smile.......
We started with 2 coronation Sussex hens and a rooster and two australorp hens. I am just letting things happen as they happen, but am starting to think about some experiments with egg selection (as in, who laid them and who fertilized them) to improve my sussex, though some of the cross breeds look REALLY pretty and I may have to convince Mr O to "allow" some side experiments. :oops: At present there is no plan to show or sell them. We just like them and they provide a lot of balance and sanity to our otherwise stressful lives. :hiya:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

A lot of crossbreeds are very beautiful Okaru. I agree. (Same with people I think.)

Just watched nearly an hour of 'soap opera' in the coop as Vita and the chicks roosted for the first time while the two Pekins watched with alarm. Scott had just installed new, improved roosting rails, and this must have put the idea into Vita's head to go back to the coop. Oh my gawd, did I laugh. At one point Vita gave up in disgust after one of the chicks knocked her to the floor trying to climb on top of her. She marched back to the kennel with the chicks following her, then changed her mind again and marched back to the coop again. One of the chicks came off the top rail 3 times. Once it was hanging on by its beak and flapping its wings like a humming bird. Lucky they are so light when they fall. Oh my!

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:laughing
Hee hee. They can be entertaining, can't they? It's funny how they choose priorities.

Ours have been struggling with this heat. All is "slow-mo" here at the moment.