Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Incubator in a hot house on a hot day

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all. I live in Tasmania in an inadequately insulated house running east/west. We aren't generally subjected to the sustained high temperatures standard on the mainland, it is generally more of a one off day here and there. My incubator has a history of overheating in warm weather. Generally I've been home and kept an eye on it, swapping sides of the house with the sun, lifting the lid for a couple of hours during the hottest part of the day if necessary and in theory avoiding incubating during the warmest months. In practice there is always just one more batch....
We've a warm day forecast coming up on a day where I'll be out all day and I'm wondering if about turning the incubator down a degree or two for the day? The eggs will be day 15 by then and I was thinking that by halting the heating process early they may be better protected from overheating. I'm figuring a day of slightly cool temps will be less damaging than a day of overheating and I can control that to just slowing development rather than ceasing it completely. Even if this particular day of warmth doesn't eventuate it has got me thinking and I'd really appreciate some feedback from others as to the sense of thise idea.
Thank you for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hello Bluegreensheen, you are right that a drop in temp will be less risky for the eggs than overheating, (you might get a slightly delayed hatch) however depending on your incubator, it shouldn't heat more than the set temp although a higher ambient temp will cause the temp in the 'bator to rise above the set temp (unless you are lucky enough to have a bator sophisticated enough to also actively cool (I wish) which you obviously don't
Your other option would be to improvise an evap. type cooler using a fan and wet towels with their ends in a water tray. This could be set on a timer to come on during the hottest part of the day and directed to the incubator