Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dirty bums on chicks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirty bums on chicks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

My recently hatched chicks are now a week old and all very healthy looking. Of the 9 chicks, 7 have nice clean bums but 2 have bums that need to be cleaned up daily. Any idea what would cause this? Perhaps it is an immature gut or maybe parasites but at this young age what can be done to improve things? Can they eat yoghurt?? They were immunised for Mareks at 1 day old and are currently eating Barastock Chick Starter (medicated).

Post subject: Re: Dirty bums on chicks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Perhaps you could treat them with some amprolium. Cocci can cause dirty bums. It won't hurt to treat them to cover that possibility. I would also suggest giving them some poultry probiotics and keep the feed simple until it clears up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:17 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks for your reply. I think if it were Cocci then all would have it and these two have had dirty bums since day 1. The food doesn't come much simpler than Chick Starter but I am interested to know what poultry probiotics is??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Probiotic, would be something like "Vetafarm probiotic", just to help with getting the bacteria balance right. This can just be sprinkled on top of the starter. All chicks do not necessarily get infected by pathogens. The affected chicks might just have been a bit weaker to start with, or didn't get off to a good start with respect to eating and drinking in comparison with the others. I also realize you are using medicated feed, but this usually just contains a "maintenance" level of medication. If the chicks accidentally got infected before they had managed to have enough of their starter, it will take longer to work at the level it is dosed into the feed. This could compromise them for a longer time. That's why I suggested to give them a little top up with a cocci-treatment. Sorry for creating a misunderstanding about simple diet, but you were asking about yoghurt etc. I would stick with chick starter for a couple more weeks, without treats.
I hope the littlies get better. :-)