Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Starting some now and adding more next week?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm getting some araucana and RIR eggs next week to incubate, but my GL Wyandotte has unexpectedly come back on the lay, so far every day, after going broody, then moulting earlier in the year. All eight eggs are a good size and even in size and shape, she is in with my rooster and I would really like some chicks before I split the pair up :biggrin:

I have read that people do start incubating and add new eggs at different times, but not sure if this can only be done successfully with a big incubator? I have a small Janoel 60 egg hexagon incubator which I have successfully hatched chicks from previously, but they were set at the same time, and I followed lockdown procedure which I wouldn't be able to this time if I add eggs next week.

So...recommendations and advice? Should I set up the bator and add these eggs when its ready then add the new eggs next Wednesday (20th April), or wait, keep collecting the eggs and add them all in next Wednesday at the same time? The oldest egg was laid on the 4th April, and although it is April, summer only disappeared a few days ago and seems to be making a re-appearance by the end of the week so its not really normal autumn weather.

Thnks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

you get the best results with fresher eggs....when I was incubating last year i set more after 9 days, worked fine for me
What I did was @ 9 days candle and throw away any infertile and move them across, then refill the bator, at day 18 I again candled, placing the viable eggs due to hatch in small baskets to hatch candle the day 9 eggs and throw away the infertile and refill, I kept the humidity fairly constant they seem to draw what they need for what stage they are at and I had a progressive hatch every 9-10 days.
cheers pam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:55 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have hatched at different times in my plastic hexagon incubator.
I find alot of shells, poo and fine feather fluff gets into the water and makes it rather yucky and smelly. So after each hatching i quickly rinse out the bottom, dry it off, fill back with luke warm water and pop the remaining eggs back in. Not ideal but better than having bacteria growing and affecting the remaining eggs.
Good thing about those incubators is they are very easy to clean and it takes just a few seconds. Just watch the temp, make sure everything settles and pop the eggs back in. Should be back to normal within minutes. As i said it's not ideal but i find this works for me.

We have had good results from multiple hatching. Most recent was 3 Wyandottes which i took off from a sick broody hatched on the 2nd April, followed by 2 Australorp chicks on 7th April and i still have 11 Pekin Bantam eggs developing on day 12 they look perfect for the duration.

So yes it can be done.

:chicks:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Great, I have the incubator warming up now:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I second Cavelblaze I reset every few days with no adverse affects but what I do is also date and scatter the new eggs in different parts of the bator so there is not one cold spot but the overall temp may marginally drop if you know what I mean I love my incubator which is the same as yours and it can easily by washed and reset within minutes and I find that the temp gets back to normal in no time at all.
cheers Judy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well I have put the first lot in, 11 RIR eggs and 10 from my GLW and 1 from my Ancona - both are still laying so I am collecting theirs to add next week when I get my araucana eggs.

Couple of questions though - the instructions that came with my hexagon incubator advised to add an additional cut down margarine container or similar and fill it on day 18 to keep the humidity up during lockdown. Will I need to do this if I am still opening the incubator to turn the eggs twice a day (as I can refill the water channel)? Should I just keep the center channel filled and not worry about filling the outer one? Should I just keep turning all the eggs, or not turn the ones that are at day 18+? Normally when I turn the eggs (am and pm) I also move them around in the incubator, middle ones to outside and vice versa.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well this is what I do and have done so for as long as I have had mine and I have done so successfully and my backyard full of chickens is a testament to the success lol. I fill both chambers then when they are dry I fill them again then when they are dry I fill them again etc etc etc If I have chickens hatching when the chambers are nearly dry I do fill them up so that they will be full the whole hatching time. If I have chicks hatching I only turn or stir my eggs 1 times a day and try to avoid the ones that are hatching some days I forget to turn my eggs. If I have hatched chicks in my bator I dont turn any of the eggs the chicks movement is enough.
I have found with the reduced turns (I only do it once or twice a day anyway) I have less cases of spraddle leg when I did it religiously 3 - 4 times a day it was sad hatching them and watching the poor darlings do the splits.

This is how I have found it to be most successful to ME and Im sure others are gasping at my neglegence with my incubating eggs but I do talk to them to ....not funny chook noises but matter of facts what life is going to be like on the outside LOL.
Cheers Judy

Have just had 4/4 australorp chicks hatch they were started at different dates to my other eggs. YAAAY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

LOL thanks Judy:) Its always good to hear how someone else does things - especially with the same equipment. Although the instructions that came with mine said to only fill the centre channel until day 18, I can't help but think that if the external environment is dry (whether hot or cold) that the incubator could really do with the extra humidity - its surprisingly humid under a sitting hen!

I only turn them twice a day, and will candle this lot of 22 tonight if I get time, and will add some more on Thursday or Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh! Oops! thats the step I forgot to do 'read the instructions' lol I honestly didnt know that about the water wells I just fill both as I find that the water evaporates very quickly maybe thats just where I live the air is dryer than say if you live near the coast.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

It's great to hear so much about this incubator!
We have the same one and are in the middle of hatching 3 dozen eggs [half Day 21 and hatching at the moment RIRs;half Day 12 and will candle them tonight]. Some of the initial eggs were more than 7 days due to an unexpected trip away and TWO power black-outs within the last 3 weeks [one lasting more than 3 hours!] was also a big worry.

Of the 19 RIR eggs: 3 were not Fertile; 2 stopped developing; 11 already hatched yesterday; 1 peeped tonight and still waiting to see what the last 2 will do.
It was a messy hatching, so did that same "very fast" clean-up BUT the remaining eggs are quite dirty now.

My Question from all you experienced hatchers [this is only our second run]- Has anybody else experienced the 2nd lot of eggs getting so dirty and what did you do about it?

Going in to check on that peeped egg now! :catch:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well I havn't experienced the second lot of eggs getting dirty yet (obviously), but the only thing I would do is wipe them over with a dry cloth. The first lot of eggs I incubated had quite a few that were very dirty with mud and poop, so I actually washed them with a wet cloth - I knew this was not recommended, but it was an experimental hatching and I...experimented. All of the washed eggs hatched (I marked them), but I would be very cautious of doing the wet cloth thing on a partially developed egg due to the possibility of multiplying bacteria on a wet cloth and pushing it through the porous shell (if that is possible?).

If the eggs are that dirty that they need wet wiping, the only thing I would consider using as a last resort would be coloidal silver, which shouldn't hurt the chick, but will limit bacteria/germ numbers.

I've yet to candle my 44 eggs, hopefully tonight will get a chance. Unfortunately we had a blackout one night last week (before I put the second lot in), so there is a good chance some of them died then:(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How long are you leaving them in the incubator after hatching? if Im doing a rolling hatch I remove the chicks pretty much as soon as they have dried off into a warmed brooder box this can be as little as 3hours after hatch this does save a lot of mess on the other eggs. This last hatch they had to stay in there for at least 24 hours, the eggs that are not yet to hatch are a bit grubby but I actually rub the dirty area a little bit with a dry cloth. I have seen dirtier eggs under a broody with a successful hatch. I will now wash out the incubator and put the eggs back in ready to hatch believe it or not tomorrow.
I love this incubator so much I ordered another one last week - counting down the sleeps till it arrives.
cheers Judy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

LOL I love mine as well, hubby has suggested I get another one:)