Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - unwell duckling...

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unwell duckling...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

:cry: hi new to this so please help, brought 6 indian runner duck eggs put them under my chicken who has happily hatched 5, then one died day 1, day 7 very hot day went to check on the surviving 4,( keep putting fresh water in bowl) one is lying on his side appeared weak dipped the beak in water few times but still he wont stand mum leaves him n found him twice lying on his back trying to get up (check every half hour) appears cold!! :? :help: any advice greatly appriated xxx

Post subject: Re: unwell duckling...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:25 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sometimes the mothers will leave them because there is something wrong with the baby. It may just be that the little one is still weak from hatching and trying to keep keep up with the others is further using his strength - or there could be something else more serious wrong. Do you have a box inside where you can keep him warm? That way you can keep a closer eye on him. Also giving some vitamins in the water will help to give it a boost.

Welcome to BYP - sorry it wasnt under better circumstances that you joined- but hope the little pulls through for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:58 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

He died this morning found another like this this afternoon, he's died too:( so moved the last remaining two and mum in to a cool shed as it has been so hot thinking maybe heat exhaustion??? Continue with mashed up egg n chick crumb, so tomorrow will tell.... Thanks for getting back.... Does heat exhaustion sound possible?? So sad this one died in my hands:(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:22 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

So sorry to hear this. It's awful when what should be a happy occasion has such a sorrowful element.

How hot was the shed they were originally in? How hot has the outdoor temperature been? They should be able to handle anything around the mid 30s with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:26 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Also.... Is their food nice and fresh smelling - not rancid or musty? Is it stuff that has been hanging around for a while or bought fresh from a place with high turnover?

What kind of food are you feeding them?

Keep food out of the heat and away from light as both these things will cause vitamins to deteriorate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi
its been about 23 hot,they were in a chicken coop which we proped top open to allow more fresh air, straw bedding, fine sawdust on the floor, soiled bedding or wet bedding from water bowl removed regularly...water bowl shallow enough for them to splash in...plus another one with vitamin drops in... food is put out in the morning moved about hour later along with water so its always fresh, i spoke to a farmer friend who adviced me to put in cool shed, have checked on these and both appear bright...but so did the other two!! number 5 died as soon as out of shell so maybe they have diease??? :( yeah sad as i felt helpless as one died in my hands :( thanks again for getting back this is my first lot of baby ducks so its heart breaking!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:34 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Heartbreaking is the word for sure....

If one died right after hatching then there was nothing you could have done about that little one. The fact that you have had these losses could be nothing at all to do with what you are doing. It sounds like you are looking after them very well. Some hatches are just not strong... Sometimes inbreeding or parental nutrition is a factor.

Just a few thoughts that are not related to these losses: Are they on chick starter? I know a lot of people feed this with no worries but my vote would go to using duck starter or gamebird starter. Giving them chick starter would not have caused this problem you are having now (provided it's not musty or old ie. the bag you bought was old) - but duck or gamebird starter is just better if you can get it. Ducklings need more B vitamins than chicks and chick starter can be a bit low in some things. Your vitamin supplement is a good idea, especially if it covers the various B vitamins. They also need a bit of sunshine (for vit D) so supervised outdoor time or time outside in a secure pen is good.

I hope that your other ones grow up healthy and strong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Not quiet understanding this post so here goes
Firstly where are you located?
You say 23 is hot not by any calculations it isnt
So if you are not in australia need to know where are you.
You said duckling felt cold it probably was hence some of your problems
Chook is raising them again another problem or could be.

Your options continue going on think the outcome will not be good
Take away from the chicken and put what is left in box with heat source food,water.
No splashing bowls you do not want them getting wet at this age as this is another reason for them dieing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I agree with with macl27, you are probably better off taking the ducklings away from the the hen and doing as suggested.
I presume you are in the UK, I hear you are having a heatwave with a couple of days over 20c :) , but at those temperatures the ducklings are actually cold. Good luck with the remaining two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:24 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi
yeah am uk based, and we are havin a bit of a mini heat wave:)....my remaining ducklings appear to be doing well since i moved them into the shed still feeding on chick crumb and egg as my farmer friend has suggested they become very distressed when "mum" chicken is moved and stay close all the time, ive removed the splash bowl and put some more straw in, still got fingers crossed so heres hoping!...thanx guys xxxxx