Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ultrasonic Rat Repellent

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Agree that the apparently easy solutions don't work.
I have a lot of reservations about baiting due to secondary poisoning risk with wildlife and my dogs and only use warfarin bait as a last resort to mop up trap shy individuals.
Also agree that everyone needs to have a plan with a variety of methods which suit their own situation. Mine is first and foremost to stop feeding them. With plentiful food available it becomes hard to trap and bait successfully and the population rapidly builds up to whatever level the food supply permits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:31 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Know what you mean fuscipes - but the normal rules are tricky to apply in some environments. After five years here without baiting we have had to give in. Yes I am concerned about the dog, the free range poultry, the wildlife. There is a minor mouse plague here at the moment, sheep and cropping country, fields of feed to support populations. Hay sheds, round bales of hay in paddocks, wheat silos, all that.

Rats quickly learn to avoid traps and bait. Cats are more danger to wildlife than eating a few dead rats, just not going there. Rats are harder to control than mice. Good dogs seem the best answer: two Jack Russel Terriers or similar keep them down better than anything, but that doesn't suit everyone's circumstances either.