Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pellet vs. Grain question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 pm 

Hi there

Looking for some insight from feeding some of the experienced members here. My flock of girls (Australorps, Barnies, Wellies & Dorking) seem to have gone off their pellets a bit, not in the sense that they aren't eating, they're still gannets that's for sure. But instead, they are relying a lot on free ranging which they can only do in limited space when I'm not home, a couple of handfuls of scratch and whatever green treats or scraps they get. They are laying well, but I don't think they have the weight/condition on them that they should, I'd say that all are a bit light on. I have one 4mth old pullet, but the other seven are all between 11-12 mths old.

They previously would have cleaned out their pellet feeder about every 4 days or so at the beginning of winter, now I seem to only fill it once a week and there are two more birds in the flock since then, so it seems a bit odd.

The pellet I currently use is Golden Yolk. I wonder if I would be better moving them to a more palatable pellet (is there one?) or something that is a bit of a mix. Is Red Hen 17 something like that? Cost not a problem, I just want them to be keen to eat their rations and in the healthy weight bracket.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If they are losing weight and condition, I would stop scraps and scratch mix for a while and switch pellets. Mine have been on Laucke Showbird Breeder micro pellets for a couple of years, and they eat them enthusiastically and are in good condition (although they will choose grain if I give them a choice). The pellets are grain sized, so smaller than regular pellets, and must have a fairly appealing taste, to my lot anyway.

Another thought - is their worming up to date?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What mad chook said.
Consider too, that at this time of the year there is more forage, which they will probably prefer but it doesn't provide as much concentrated nutrition as a good quality pellet. Laying also uses up a lot of energy. Hens which have been laying well often lose condition.
Worm them, upgrade the pellet and limit access to other food until at least late afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:43 pm 

Excellent, I'm on the right track.

I've switched them to Ren Hen 17 and they are eating it much more readily. I've stopped scratch in the mornings, and they get a bit in the evening if I get home in reasonable time. I've also started giving them a mash every three days of mostly pellets, some Red Hen 17, a bit of livermol, rolled oats and a veggie/fruit chop. They gobble that up, even though most of it is pellet, which gets a good amount in them.

Worming is bang up to date, no troubles there.

They are laying quite a bit as its their first year, so perhaps that has taken it out of them with their general fussiness with their pellets.