Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rats not taking Bromakil bait

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Been living away from our house while extensions are being done and the rats have gone out of control. I have had success with Bromakil wax block baits in the metal box bait station that has holes in each end and a space for the bait to sit (the dark green/blue wax block).

On my visits to feed and water the chooks, I've seen rats in daylight scavenging dropped pellets and mash under the feeders. On the weekend there were 3 there and they ran into and sheltered in the bait station! Ah, I figured, bait must have been eaten. But when I opened the bait station the bait was there and untouched!

Any ideas? I don't want to use the little throw packs in case I poison my chooks and previously the wax blocks were effective. Maybe human smell is on it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Rats are plague-like around home, no problem for the past six years and nothing has changed, they just appeared in droves. Something with the climate? wheat crops etc all around, the season must just be perfect for them this year. I've never been pro-baiting either ethically or risk to home animals of all kinds. After traps tried all around with fair success, we realised the numbers were too great. Resorted to baits. Oh, they don't like them. Changed brands, don't like them either.

What I need to do is catch hundreds in bin-traps with the rolling pipe on top. The theory sounds good, the youchube video clips look as if they could actually work. Has anyone tried this, and caught really substantial numbers or found they soon work it out so don't even try? I'd need quite a few, even down in the orchard (where they climb fruit trees) and down by the dam where they go for a drink. These are not native rats, they are the real deal rattus rats.

We have also just had an almost-plague of rabbits. The myxie is just going through them, which has reduced numbers hugely. I wish there was a myxie equivalent for rats: it's a horrible thing and I don't even wish it on rabbits, but rats I think I could handle it as a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I find rats eat baits for a while then ignore them. I keep changing the bait type and that seems to work. I use glue wax blocks, the red of green blocks and the blue saches. They all work in the bait stations I have. The saches I impale on the spikes. The others have holes in them. Seems to work, tho I still have rats of course!