Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broody hen who's vicious

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broody hen who's vicious
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've got a hen who a cross-bred (RIR x NH) who has gone broody over the last 2 weeks.... this is the first time I've ever had a cross go broody - but she's very vicious and I'm not sure how she'll take to chicks. My other broody is very gentle and doesn't peck but this hen won't let me anywhere near her. I'm concerned about letting her have chicks.... Can I get some advice from someone here who's dealt different types of broodies? Isvitvok for hens to be vicious when broody? Is it likely she'll be aggressive towards chicks?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

It's quite normal, no need to worry. If she hatches chicks she will look after them protectively. That's all she is doing now, guarding her eggs (even if they are just in her mind). If you let her sit (on nothing or golf balls) for around 20 days and wish to then put day-old chicks under her, do it around midnight or a bit later. And keep an eye on her til she settles (red cellophane over torch) in case she attacks them. If all is okay after a few minutes she will be fine with them next morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

If she’s aggressive towards you that means she’d probably be an excellent and very protective Mum. I think it’d be safe to give her some chicks. You’ll just need to be careful about going near her when she’s with them as she may rush at you and accidentally trample the chicks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Since she’s been sitting for 2 weeks already you can give her chicks anytime without waiting any longer, as long as she’s happily sitting in a spot that’s safe to have chicks in :) I usually give them a week to sit to make sure they’re serious and then give them fertile eggs/babies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:52 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok - I think I'll get her a couple of fertile eggs - I have to re-home her (and my other hens) soon as I have to move. A hen with chicks will be popular I'm sure! I hope it works out! Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:55 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My australorp hen - I've given her chicks within a few days of her being broody, in broad daylight before and she accepts them straight away. She's a very good mum, she's raised 4 lots of chicks now! She's very protective but takes them out into the garden all day from just a few days old. It's great to watch how she teaches them things. She's never been vicious though so this is new to me!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

[quote="PossumCorner" If you let her sit (on nothing or golf balls) for around 20 days and wish to then put day-old chicks under her, do it around midnight or a bit later. And keep an eye on her til she settles (red cellophane over torch) in case she attacks them. If all is okay after a few minutes she will be fine with them next morning.[/quote]

Hey PossumCorner, can I pop in a question in about this? I've got a first timer mum with two chicks (now 1 or 2 days old) and given that both of them (if I'm unlucky) may both be boys, I thought I'd hedge my bets a bit and buy a couple of day old chicks to supplement her family. There are some day-olds available tomorrow. If I'm best to put them under her at midnight, how am I best to keep them warm until then if I don't have a brood box set up? I do have the incubator here. Could I put them in that for one afternoon?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers, Judy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Incubator will be fine. Take out the bottom floor and put down something non slip. Set it to about 36'. Don't add any water but put food and water in for the chicks. I often use mine as short term brooders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
Incubator will be fine. Take out the bottom floor and put down something non slip. Set it to about 36'. Don't add any water but put food and water in for the chicks. I often use mine as short term brooders.

Excellent. Thanks heaps
:th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:59 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Tks sue55, been out all day sorry Chiknboots missed question, but sue55 way ahead of me anyway. Guess who got some new goslings today: worth the long day's drive in the floodwatch districts, fingers were crossed and all went well. Now up at stupid hour on anti fox stuffing around. 25 mil in the gauge, green grass for Christmas!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:28 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

PossumCorner wrote:
Tks sue55, been out all day sorry Chiknboots missed question, but sue55 way ahead of me anyway. Guess who got some new goslings today: worth the long day's drive in the floodwatch districts, fingers were crossed and all went well. Now up at stupid hour on anti fox stuffing around. 25 mil in the gauge, green grass for Christmas!!

Thank you both! Success last night at 10.30pm (We were too tired to wait till midnight.) Went out in the rain wearing head torches wrapped in red cellophane, looking even more ridiculous than usual. Took the lid off the kennel and Scott had to hold her head while I popped them under her wing as she was going to murder my hand. She was very protective. Anyway, she didn't go for the chicks, just us. And this morning, all looks quiet and calm. She's all fluffed up with her new family. Thanks again. :duck2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:52 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Well done, sounds like success all round and no, you wouldn't have looked ridiculous - quite normal to me, in fact :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What sort of goslings pc? We got 50ml yesterday and more to come - bit challenging trying to manage multiple grow out and broody pens atm. Green Xmas here too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

That's good ChicknBoots, (giving advice can be as stressful as needing it, in case everything ends in tears or goes otherwise pear-shaped).

Chinese goslings would have been nice Sue55 but they are not always findable/affordable. I have three Chinese pairs - but also an odd couple two ganders Embden/Roman Tufted cross. So the new ones are hopefully all female to run with them and keep them from attacking the Chinese out of jealous aggression. Goose politics gets very complicated. But the newies are crossbreddies - a bit of Chinese in them, but also some Toulouse and possibly Pilgrim (Farm-yard).

The plan is to breed only from the Chinese pairs, and just use the crossbreed eggs for eating or sell to craft people. There is a niche craft of carving goose eggs using Dremmel type engravers, (but the finer ones, as used by dentists or jewellers). Best laid plans - but I can already foresee the bloody Embden gander looking for the main chance with a Chinese goose, shades of a certain Araucana rooster. We totalled 45 mil over the three days, so welcome. More would be good but unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ha ha! I hadn't thought of the stress of giving advice... Thank you again. All still going swimmingly here. All chicks brimming with health at the moment at a week and a half old. Now I just have to hope that some of them are girls.

The goose thing sounds incredibly complicated like advanced maths :hmmm: Good luck!