Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Worming and molt advice please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:21 pm 

Hello
I have three Australorp cross hens, 3.5 years old. Is it OK to worm them with Avitrol Plus Praziquntel bird wormer tablets while they are coming out of the molt?

- last wormed early Feb 2019, March 2018 and before that only once or twice yearly I think (Ivermectin drops on skin)
- molting for two months (maybe longer). New pin feathers are about 2cm long, others nearly fully grown out. No bald patches on any of the hens
- they live in suburbia in a large coop (5x3 m) with deep litter and are let out daily into a small yard or the veggie patch.

Do I need to wait until they have totally grown out their new feathers before I worm them? I thought it would be good to do it while they're not laying but didn't want to cause them more stress. I'd prefer to worm them now so I can give the pen a good clean out and put in fresh litter.

Feeding:
- high protein good quality layer pellets
- a handful of scratch mix
- a golf ball size of lean mince each day the last month or so to help with the molt
- spinach leaves/weeds

IF it is OK to worm them:
- do i need to starve them for 24 hrs as per directions before and then 3 hours after (seems excessive, and I really don't think they'd thank me for that!)
- do i need to do a follow-up worming a few weeks later?
- 3 or 4 tablets per bird? (directions state 1.5 tabs per 750 - 1kg bird). They weigh 2 kilos and one is 2.4 kilos.
- OK to give them the tablets by hand hidden in mince?

Grateful for any advice :-)
Ros

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It’s ok to worm them now :)

To be honest I never withhold food before worming. I just grab them and worm them...

It’s good practice to do a follow up worm 10 days to 2 weeks later. But I personally don’t do that as I’ve never seen evidence of much of a worm burden. If you’re seeing worms in their poo though then it’d be worth doing the follow up worm.

I’d give the 2kg birds 2 tablets each and the 2.5kg bird 2.5 tablets. If you can, worm them by putting the tablets directly into their beaks so you’re sure they’re eaten the right quantity. However if you’ve successfully used the mince method in the past (eg you’ve done it one bird at a time and none have been over or under dosed) then go ahead and do that again :)

Next time consider using Wormout tablets.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:03 am 

Many thanks for your help Rach, will do :thumbs: I'm in Canberra too. Where do you get your chook supplies from?

Cheers
Ros

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I generally go to Bellchambers in Yallourn St in Fyshwick, but AgWork, also in Fyshwick, is also really good.

Bellchambers sell Wormout tablets by the tablet which is great for those of us with small flocks :) Bellchambers also sell a lot of things by the scoop (sunflower seeds, shell grit) so you can get smaller amounts.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 pm 

Great, thanks for that :-D