Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - best feed for rooster prior to mating

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I am interested in getting my roo fit for mating and would like advice on diet, worming, etc to that end
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

barrycon wrote:
I am interested in getting my roo fit for mating and would like advice on diet, worming, etc to that end
cheers
barrycon

I give my rooster half breederfeed and half wheat a month prior to penning them for mating plus Vitamin B12 complex. 2 weeks before I pen them I reduce the wheat to 25% of the ration .{ 75% breeders feed and 25% wheat .
I give all my breeders Vitamin B12 Complex for the full duration of breeding . helf the fetility and the over all helth of the embryos .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Jose
Thanks for that. I've now been feeding both rooster and hens on Laucke Champion Bird pellets, but no wheat. Frankly, they don't seem to like the Laucke; they normally get Barastoc layer pellets plus a scratch mix late after being let out for a few hours (we live on 5 acres).
I set 2 batches of eggs in early Sept, with poor hatch rates, plus a few splayed hip chickens - I understand they are the result of poor temp control. In fact in Sydney we did have a generally- colder early spring, which may be part of the problem.
Will set another batch in about a fortnight.
Thanks again
barrycon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:20 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I normally go with pork belly, mixed dozen oysters, a nice sauvignon blanc, and an affogato with baileys. But that's just me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

barrycon wrote:
Hi Jose
Thanks for that. I've now been feeding both rooster and hens on Laucke Champion Bird pellets, but no wheat. Frankly, they don't seem to like the Laucke; they normally get Barastoc layer pellets plus a scratch mix late after being let out for a few hours (we live on 5 acres).
I set 2 batches of eggs in early Sept, with poor hatch rates, plus a few splayed hip chickens - I understand they are the result of poor temp control. In fact in Sydney we did have a generally- colder early spring, which may be part of the problem.
Will set another batch in about a fortnight.
Thanks again
barrycon

I had a poor hatch early September too .very cold nights .now the hatch rate is great .
Barastoc layer is good .
rooster can not eat just layer feed .too much for them ,they need some wheat 20% of they ration ,other wise they get fat and heavy .bad plumage too .

jose