Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Thank goodness for my skirt!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

A few months ago we electrified an enclosure after a dog harassed the chooks inside it. At the time we had also reinforced the perimeter wire including an extended "skirt" of folded wire outwards for about 1 m. This was previously only around 40 cm and the dog had managed to 'ruffle' it up.
Lots of other people on this forum have done the skirt thing..... That's why im sharing today. :)

I'd been putting most of my confidence in the hot wire, though..... This especially as the dog came back to try again the following day and got a zap for his troubles. :nuts

This morning the current (pun intended) establishment was put to the test.
At dawn there was a commotion that was much more than egg-song. I went out to find the hot wire chewed through in 2 places and digging attempts in several spots.
The wider skirt held firm. Chooks are safe. Based on fresh droppings, it was a fox this time.

The hot wire has been repaired, but clearly, a clean bite only causes momentary discomfort, given the intense activity still going on despite it being there. Looks like i need to increase the number of separately electrified strands and find some more deterrents. :roll:

Do others have some thoughts or suggestions? :help:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Time to bring out the motion and heat sensing Auto Cannons. LOL.

Yes adding more strands should be a good thing. That fox might be able to take a bite when it bites and gets bitten. :huh? :laughing Butt if it gets bit in the but the same time, then it might find out it bit off more than it could chew. ALL puns intended.

In other more understandable words. If the fox gets snapped in more than one area it may feel overwhelmed.

Up the size of the zapper? Or purchase the white portable fence that has small holes and it is electrified. Bassically make a two barrier system. One is movable.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:01 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks mouthpear
As an initial temporary fix we added logs around the perimeter to make it obvious there is reinforcing. The lower 1.2 - 1.5 m of the enosure is 2 mm diameter wire mesh 10 mm spacing. (Basically unflexible sheets) above that is steel reinforced nylon mesh (up and over), which for some reason has never been touched.

Question: to add more wires using the same energiser i assume i need to insulate these from each other? Otherwise, one broken one would just cause the others to earth, no? I've been looking on line and see some examples with plastic spacers going out at an angle. Have you got a different thought?

I agree about motion sensors, if i could get one to alarm inside the house when the walls are being disturbed that would be even better.
Clues?

I will have some time to improve on the temporary fix after this weekend. I've already moved most of the girls out. The remaining ones roost in the trees so would be safer. All of them need to be elsewhere for a few weeks while the fruit trees get maintained. In that time we should be able to secure things well. (And it is only a matter of time before a fox works out the main enclosures.....)

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sooo....
There seems to be a few electronics buffs looking on this forum regularly.

I'd really appreciate some advice about my electric fence.
Otherwise I'll be resorting to a motion sensing activated bazooka or a nuke. :oops:

Still no penetration, but nightly activity and ever more ingenious attempts.
:help:

I'm thinking 5 strand fence, all strands directly above one another.
Numbers 1, 3 and 5 live. 2 and 4 earthed.
Thoughts?

My energiser is solar charged and (supposedly) rated 5 km 8000 V. Is this enough?

I have one strand at the moment with a gate. I'm thinking to have the 5 permanent 2 mm galvanised strands instead of the nylon, and to fix these around the enclosure terminating close in to either side of the door frame. (Removing the need for a gate). The door is a converted security flyscreen so is unlikely to get beaten in.
Any comments or advice?

Ive seen elsewhere that motion sensing lights are a deterrent.
Can anyone tell me if this works?
If so, do you think it could be possible to use the same solar charger to manage the floodlight as the one charging the fence battery ?
What would i need to check or consider? (Willing to experiment)
How far away from the enclosure do you think we should aim sensors?

Thanks for any thoughts. :)