Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - sand as a litter base

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sand as a litter base
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:30 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hello,
just wondering if river sand can be used for a chook pen or not ? does anyone use it ? i use it in my finch aviaries with great success but wondering about the chook run ?
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I read a book on poultry keeping prior to getting my birds and in it, they recommend the use of sand in a poultry run. The benefits are the birds are not walking around in mud, water drains straight through the sand and you can rake the droppings up, thereby keeping everything nice and clean.
Having only finished building my chicken run recently, I have not had the time to use sand, however, within the next week it is my intent to fill the run with sand and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:21 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

ok well thanks for your comment,let us know what you think of it after using it yourself.i might order a truckload for my pen and when i walk through it i can pretend im on the beach as theres not many beaches around penrith :laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Good morning,
Well I bought a metre of concrete sand and covered the chook run to a depth of around 70mm. I was horrified when they refused to walk on it despite throwing out their cut grass and silverbeet. In fact they refused to come out of their coop. I solved the problem by spreading lucerne chaff over the area directly outside the door of the coop and now they are quite happy wandering around the yard. Apparently chooks hate change, therefore even though the sand was more comfortable, it was new and they did not like it. All good now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Just a report on using sand as a a medium for keeping the run clean and making sure the chickens are not walking around in mud. My Good neighbours decided to dob me in as the chickens were supposedly creating a smell and were noisy. The Shire contacted me and wished to inspect the chook run and their yard to see if there was a problem with odour. Subsequently, I had a visit from two ladies from the Shire who were delightful people, inspected the run with its clean sand and no odour and gave it a clean bill of health. I have absolutely no doubt that the use of sand definitely assisted me in getting a clean bill from the Shire. Now the chooks are used to the sand, they have their dust baths, scratch around and love it. I highly recommend the use of sand in chook runs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:20 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thats great news warrigal,thanks for the update.i still havent gotten any but now i certainly will,tomorrow even :thumbs: