Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mealworms

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:17 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why buy when you can beg, borrow or steal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well if you need them the pet shop opposite bunnings in the carpark had them. They also had some lovely reptiles too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:53 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh i know that one....that's where my beloved nimbus came from......i'm not usually a buy dogs in petshop person, but something made me go in there and, well, i've never regretted it (he wasn't an impulse buy....i had been planning for months to get a small dog, in fact had just spent the weekend scouring the refuges for the right one, was on the way home and something made me stop at that shop....i was meant to take him home :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He's just georgeous! Some pets you are just meant to have I think.

My daughter lost her dog in a dog fight several years ago and vowed she wouldn't get another. Then one day out of the blue she thought she'd like another and she was going to "..look in the Quokka for one". We only had the previous week's edition but sure enough there was an older Jack Russell needing a home as the owners were moving into a retirement village, and no-one else had enquired about him and they were going to get him put down. He has fitted right in and is adored by everyone, even my other JR who is very protective of him when the neighbour's sheep dogs visit.

The only trouble I have is they are both dynamite on chicks if they get half a chance LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:46 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

mmm, when he was a puppy he was a bit of a problem with chooks, they do squawk so obligingly when you catch them and pull them by their tails :lol: :lol: but with a lot of work he now is very calm around them, and in fact, if i don't pay enough attention while feeding mash can find dog and chooks happily eating mash from same bowl :o

so, to go back to meal worms :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: they shouldn't hurt a dog eating them should they? dogs eat all sorts of things in the wild, so i think if he ate some of the chooks mealworms he should be fine hey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:59 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

HI caladenia,

My dogs eat the bran and the mealies 8) and have had no problems!
In fact, the dogs are intrigued with the noise they make.

It will be interesting to see how the mealies handle the extreme temperatures we are having here. As jocler said, 25 is optimum. At 35 degrees they grow very quickly but is critical at 38-40 degrees. Maybe keep lids off to try and keep humidity down a bit as well. Mouse proof wire is pretty good stretched over the top.

Mealies don't have a photoperiod, so I think keeping them outside would be OK as far as the light went...and good for ventilation. The rain :lol: would certainly be a problem if not under cover.

Glennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

wow! mealworms make noise?

thanks for the info on the heat. got nothing to lose, so will give it a go. will go and get some wire from hardware for the lids early in the week. good to know about the photoperiod. the worms are undercover, and the mealies will be too.

thankyou for the information, and sorry for the slight distraction of my dog!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:48 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Great information everyone - Thanks !!

Started my mealworms off this week - really easy to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

well penny the legend has come through in flying colours and i now have an icecream container of mealworms in various stages including about 15 beetles! woohoo!
well here goes to see how they live outside next to the worm farm, and i also need to go buy another sack of bran....not just for hte worms..the chooks have been eating a bit lately too, have some picky chicks that i have been tempting back to health with mashes, and it will be great when there's some meal worms to add to the mix. :)
thanks to all for their great ideas.
i'm sure i'll have many more questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:08 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Good on you guys for giving the mealies a go!

Just treat them like any other livestock. :shock: Give them the right environment, plenty to eat and drink and Bob's your uncle.

Just a word of warning to any of you who may have asthma or any other respiratory illness.

The old frassy stuff (Mainly mealie poo and leftovers :shock: ) is very, very fine. Make sure you do any work with the mealies outside, in a well ventilated spot, with the breeze blowing away from you! Like most critters' poo, mealies' poo can harbour allergens that can trigger reactions in people who are susceptible.

Whilst handling the mealies, don't rub your eyes. :shock:

...And don't go to bed with bug dust in your hair!

Glennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:29 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

ahaa,
thanks for the warning glennie, as have fairly bad asthma, mayhaps a dust mask could be a good plan :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:18 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I bought a 100g container of meal worms this afternoon with the aim of"farming" them too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have beetles!!

Just last week I started finding pupa so I moved them into another container and now they have morphed. I thought it would take longer so I was surprised this morning.

Oh by the way, I microwaved the bran for a minute or two which was WAY too long (should have re-read the previous instructions but I was so sure) and guess what, I found you can burn bran in the microwave and it smells just like.... burnt bran! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So out with that lot and next time read the instructions. Anyway I fed some mealies to my new hatched GF to give them a kick start, just a dozen or so and boy are they happy with them. As I use bran for the litter they burrow down in it and the GF have to scratch around for them so they don't pig out.

Okay now how long before the beetles start to lay and I'm a little hazy on speed of the life cycle from there on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:08 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Ginny,

Pupae develop into beetles after abut 10 to 14 days. (depending on temperature. If it's been warmish, shorter time. Coolish, longer time) Make sure you take them away from the other "worms". They eat them. I put mine in a little bucket with a small layer of bran in the bottom so when I drop them in the bucket I don't hurt them. Remember these are your potential breeding stock. They don't need moisture while in the pupae box.

If you have nuked your bran, hopefully you won't get mites. Mites are tiny, wee horrid creatures that can easily overcome the poor little morphed aliens.

Good on you Ginny.

Glennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:23 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Do the beetles eat anything? So far I have moved all the pupae out of the lava box into their own container and I now have beetles and pupa in one container. Should I split these as well? And what do the beetles eat again? Same as the lava?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:25 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Gosh I doubled up on the questions there :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next