Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - automatic chook door

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:03 pm 

You guys have some awesome knowledge. For the last couple of weeks I have been thinking about how to make something that would open my chook pen door automatically & here is all the info I need. This will make things SOOOOO much easier - I have just ordered one. Thanks to all for your feedback :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:10 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They are really great, Lionel. I hope it works well for you!

NellyG :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:02 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Was watching this topic a while back and came back to have a look because my chook pen is nearly ready for some new chooks. Am keen to get a door like this as I like to free range my chooks - but often forget to shut the door at night. Only realise at about 5am when the chooks are scratching outside the bedroom window :lol: then need to catch the buggers to lock away before I go to work :x .

Last lot of chooks got eaten when wild dogs or foxes broke into the pen. Have done renovation to make pen a lot more sound.

Got excited about the doors and was close to purchasing, but then realised that the $ quoted is american. Of course with the downward slide of the Aus dollar over resent weeks - this makes the door ridiculously expensive for us, so I'm going to have to give it a miss I'm afraid - or wait until dollar goes up again :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

With a lot of help from some friends - I'm in the process of designing a home built model. Aus $ now down to 63 US cents so thought it best to take into my own hands ;-)

Post subject: Re: automatic chook door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:08 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm a bit slack in that I have still not installed the door - although it has been constructed. I need to do a few things to my pen first, including moving the laying boxes which I installed too high (above perches, so chooks are sleeping in boxes :roll:).

But here is a link to the door on youtube. You will see why we have called it the chicken chopper :lol:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWGVIz2rTY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:17 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:lol: :lol: Good work! I hope you are going to pad the bottom edge in case it does catch someone! Looks like it should work though. Are you going to share the internal workings with us?

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The video kinda explains the workings. The door is operated by a pneumatic ram. So taht I can operate the ram using a standard air compressor - which many of us have anyway and using 240 volts, I will have the air compressor, the solenoid valve and the timer switch (all operated off 240v) in the shed. 2 lengths of air hose will run from the shed to the door, which will be installed on the chook pen. One hose will carry air from the compressor to the door, the other will carry the exhaust air from the door back to the solenoid valve. The door will open when the electricity is turned on to the solenoid by the timer switch and close when the power to the solenoid is turned off by the timer switch. The compressor will always be powered, but will turn on rarely as the tank will hold enough air to run many open/close cycles. Although I could add a photoelectric switch, I see no point in the extra complication.

This door was designed and most of the components supplied by firends of mine from an aquaponics forum that I frequent - so I am very grateful to them for their help ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Thanks for that explaination! I will now put a link to this thread as I think it is valuable stuff others could use too!

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Link from where :confused:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:lol: :lol: Sorry Veggie. I didn't explain myself very well at all! At the top of this fourm there are three indexes with links to posts and good information from elswhere. So (now) if you want to look up Automatic Doors to get some information, you go to the Housing Index to A and you will find a link to this post!

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Righto - now I get you.

I thought our aquaponics forum was an active one - but this place is just mental :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:03 am 
Swan
Swan

That thing would kill the chook if it got there neck.

Veggie boy i am on another forums and its like this :mrgreen: :hmmm: and then a few others which aren't at all posting like us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:lol: yeh, I'm thinking that maybe I should just keep opening and closing the door manualy and use the auto door as a tool to decapitate chooks instead :catch:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:38 am 
Swan
Swan

yep, i am sticking to opening them and closing them myself

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:40 pm 

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share my positive experiences with the automatic door.

I purchased mine from Wells Poultry in the UK prior to Xmas but have only just recently had the time to install it. Service from Wells was very prompt and efficient.

Bascially it is great! It was easy to install and set up. I ordered mine with the optional timer which I use to open the door of a morning and then I use the light sensor to control the closing of the door in the evening. The girls got the idea straight away. The motivation to install the door accelerated after daylight saving ended as no one seemed to inform the girls of the time change. Consequently they would voice their desire to be let out at 6.00am which would wake the rest of the family and of more concern was that it may be disturbing the neighbours. Now that the door has been installed not a peep and everyone is happy!

I can thoroughly recommend this device although it is quite expensive. Also, knowing that the girls are safely locked up of an evening if I get home after dark gives me real peace of mind however.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next