Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - feed warning

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: feed warning
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:28 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all, just engaging with this old thread as I am just dealing with a chook with a very bad sour crop, and trying to work out if she has an ongoing chronic issue resulting in her extreme malnutrition which is somehow related to her sour crop, due to a slow-moving crop.

Problem is all my birds are bony, despite having plenty of pellets left from their Darling Downs layer mix. I have made the rookie mistakes of (a) not handling/inspecting my birds enough and (b) assuming that if they are hungry enough they will eat the rejected pellets eventually.

They look beautiful but under all their glossy feathers they are skin and bone.

I think I’ll try mixing the leftover pellets with water and/or yoghurt and maybe get some multivitamin drops? Or should I change to a crumble that’ll fatten them up quicker? All advice appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Ms_P That is a typical problem with the layer mixes - chooks do pick out the lollies and leave the better stuff. Even if you leave the pellets until they are eaten they have not have a regular balance unless they are fed small quantities often. Birds eating grains also need additional hard grit (not shell grit) to aid the grinding in their crop. Mostly they can find this if they forage but it may need to be provided as a supplement. Switch to a good quality (16% protein minimum pellet or mash) such as Lauke 17 or a Breeder feed. Egg production is a high energy occupation - the really productive birds often become scrawny as the season progresses.
Have they been recently wormed.
One of the culprits which can lead to sour crop is feeding grass clippings - they compact and ferment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:23 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It is encouraging that your chooks have healthy looking plumage as unthrifty chooks generally end up looking fairly disheveled.
You don't say anything about the breed, age or laying status of your chooks but heavy laying over an extended period can take its toll.
I also think it is important that chooks eating whole grain have access to hard grit (not just shell grit) as my view is that the inability to break down whole grain impedes the digestion process and perhaps leads to crop problems.
I see Sue has posted some similar thoughts before me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I suspect they are eating eggs as they are all prime laying age and only seem to lay two eggs between 5 of them. I kind of feel like I’ve failed as a chookie owner :’(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sue55 wrote:
Have they been recently wormed.
One of the culprits which can lead to sour crop is feeding grass clippings - they compact and ferment.

The vet’s faecal count of the distressed bird showed negligible parasites/worm eggs. They may have accessed grass clippings in their ranging.

Thanks for your response :-) Bridey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

fuscipes wrote:
I also think it is important that chooks eating whole grain have access to hard grit (not just shell grit) as my view is that the inability to break down whole grain impedes the digestion process and perhaps leads to crop problems.

Maybe there were a few days in their restricted run where they didn’t. They also avoided the worming water for a day so this could have adversely affected digestion.

Thanks for your response :-) Bridey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They don't need access to grit every day - it stays in their crop but slowly breaks down.
Don't feel guilty, you obviously care enough to ask questions. We all learn as we go and most of the time we do no great harm.