Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - feed warning

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: feed warning
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:34 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I just thought others might find this story a useful warning.
I've been giving my mixed flock Darling Downs Layer (Barastoc) since they were close to laying age. They seemed to like it heaps and I thought it seemed a nice rich feed. Pricey but nice!
However down the track I can see that some of the fussier birds have been avoiding the pellets, which are the main vitamin/mineral source.
I think this is why I've had so many egg-eaters and throat-peckers among the Australorps and this might also be why they're as flighty as wildcats despite all my efforts to tame them (chloride deficiency?). They're given free range in a vast paddock so it's not to do with the stress of intensive penning. Because the feed kept getting eaten all up (by the gobblers) I didn't connect behaviour to deficiencies.
All my other chickens have been on regular starter/grower/layer feeds and are all perfectly fine, tame and happy.
So there you go, lesson learned.

Post subject: feed warning
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:27 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
Hi Jenn - thanks for the warning - we use pellets sometimes, mixed with scratch mix [mixed grains] and also found egg eaters when pellets were fed as well! I started using a water soluble vitamin & have had NO egg eaters since. I agree, it may be a deficiency. we currently use Soluvet, bright yellow in water, but at least you can see from a distance that they are drinking well. So here's hoping your problem won't last too much longer. Let me know how you get on - I'm interested in anyones ideas to stop/discourage egg eating. TKU :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I've had probblems too. Half of my growing birds were fine but the other half a bit small. After 4 deaths in a week my vet sent some for an autopsie. Result: No disease, full crops,but very lite. I give my birds food & water daily. This way I dont get lazy and check my birds daily. It looks like the higher in the pecking order were getting what they need & the others got what was left. After my vet's advise I've put them on grower crumble till point of lay. That was a few weeks ago & things are looking up now. IN future Í will be going back to starter,grower than layer crumble with a hand full of the grains thrown in on the floor daily.
This is how I raised my first clutch & had no problems. I read a lot of things & thought I would be feeding them better (what a mistake).
We learn by our mistakes & in the future I will stick to what works.
Regards
Mario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:34 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I've used this mix and haven't had any problems. Basically it is a mixture of a whole lot of grains (some whole some cracked), formulated to get correct levels of proteins, fats and fibres.
The pellets contain added trace elements and vitamins, selenium,calcium etc. The pellets do look quite dark and look to be made up of pollard and basically minerals etc plus probably molasses. They are always the last to be eaten by my chooks. Sunflower seeds are the first.

I'm thinking it's a pretty good mix provided you can get chooks to eat it all. I refuse to refill their food container until everything is gone. I often switch mixes and they always turn up their nose at first but by the next day are hoeing in.

Similarly to what you describe with some chooks not getting the minerals through the pellets you also must consider that perhaps only the really bossy ones are getting any sunflower seeds. The sunflower seeds are very high in something (fats or proteins) so some chooks could be deficient in whatever they contain if they are not getting any. The same could be said of any of the "popular" grains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:44 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I use the Vella pellets, but in addition I make my own feed up fromlose ingredients from garden, supermarket and feed store, and vary it.

They get just pellets some days and my mix others.

I also use soluvet.

I add extra sunflowers, cracked corn on cold days and now in the evening as it gets cold overnight.
They also get a good dose of malt syrup (like mollases) mixed through the feed 2 - 3 times a week, and its great for sick ones.

I add lucerne pellets wetted with warm water, oats, bran and wheat germ all powderd, lactose free milk to moisten the feed for the younger lot, a bit of yogurt, garlic, chopped fresh chives and assorted grated fruits and veges.
i also mix the grower or layer through it.
Sometims I add a good rabbit mix in too and they love it.

I spoil them too much. The ones fed on this diet have done really good, I havnt been doing it long but I can see the difference.

Sarah.

Post subject: Re: feed warning
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I to have had a problem with the pellets in my feed, they would eat all the grain and leave the pellets, so what I did is put there feed in a bowl and add a cup of water to it and leave for 1/2 hour no longer then feed it to them they love it and it the lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I used to use darling downs layer but my chooks wated too much so h have just swapped to VELLA STOCK FEEDS free range scratch mix

it is pretty much the same product but is has much less pellets and hardly any fine dusty material

the reason the two products are so similar is because the Nutritionists at vella are ex Barastoc (Darling Downs Layer)

So ask if your local rural store can get them in if they dont already have it

[url]
http://www.thevellagroup.com.au/[/url]

Ph 0434626082
http://www.wauchopepoultryclub.webs.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:00 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Merilyn wrote:
I to have had a problem with the pellets in my feed, they would eat all the grain and leave the pellets, so what I did is put there feed in a bowl and add a cup of water to it and leave for 1/2 hour no longer then feed it to them they love it and it the lot.

I do the same thing, whatever is left gets mixed with natural yoghurt and a teaspoon of oil the next day with some barastoc mash added.

J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I had a problem with the layer pellets. I was mixing the layer pellets with wheat myself and they were picking out all the layer pellets and just leaving them on the ground. I changed over to red hen layer mix and they don't seem to be wasting as much. They sometimes leave the small pellets but I will now add some water to them as suggested and hopefully there will be less waste again.

140 chooks including standards (Australorps, Sussex & SL and BLG Wyandottes), Pekin bantams including Buff, Black, Columbian, Blue, Mottle, Mille, Mealy grey, Furness, Cuckoo, Lavander cuckoo & frizzle. Belgian D'Uccle in Blue & Mille.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:40 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I started off with the Barastock with mixed grain and the pellets, and I noticed the pellets being wasted. I switched to the Barastock without the pellets and they fine with this mix.
I have never had any egg eaters or shell problems either and my flock are free range also.
I hope your onto a better mix for them now and no more problems :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:19 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I used to do the same. A nice mix of grains and pellets

The fussy blinkin chookies were getting a bit scrawny and feather picky. But the local barred dove population was going great guns, eating all the left over pellets!

I think it just depends on your chooks and provided you monitor their intake they should be right.

Mine still do the early morning "squwaaark" i'm starving. But if I put their dish of pellets down and they look at me like im mad, I pick it up and give it to them later.

In saying that, have never had any trouble with the ducks, they will shovel in anything!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:15 pm 
Swan
Swan

I use it as well all my birds love it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:13 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I have been using Darling Downs and I am finding my layers are fine with it (mind you they would eat anything) but my pekins are fading away. Feeling a bit too bony for my liking and have definitely lost condition since I have had them. They have been wormed & eat plenty, but chuck out pellets. I am racking my brain for something to fatten them up a bit. I have been told Pollard & milk but the fussy little blighter's won't eat it. I have added a little of their usual food to the Pollard to encourage them but they still just pick out the yummy pieces and leave the rest. They're not even really fussed on cat food. Just love the grainy stuff

Someone told me to try meat meal (don't know what that is but I will give it a go). Any other suggestions Please???

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Huney, maybe meant is Band Saw Dust from your butcher,full of protein,maybe that is your meat meal?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Or you can buy meat meal from stock feeds. It look s and smells like blood and bone.