Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - feed warning

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: feed warning
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:55 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks folks, I will head to the feed store and the butchers first up tomorrow. It can't hurt to have both, I am assuming I can freeze the bandsaw dust in portions.

They have just been moulting, I guess that takes a fair bit out of heavily feathered birds, but I am getting quite worried about them and the fact that they are being so fussy is not helping.

I am going to have a go at mixing my own feed, particularly for the pekins. The layers are fine and like I said they would eat anything.

The fellow that was telling me about the meatmeal gave me a few pointers and showed and explained his feed mix to me. He (wish I could remember his name) has been breeding chooks in this area for ages and judging by what I saw at the show, it's obviously working.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to do a mix completely from scratch but I thought I would start with a premixed grain base like the barastoc without the pellets, then add the things he said would need topping up.

Does anyone else have trouble with fussy pekins??? I have noticed that even the new chick are fussier than all the other breeds.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

For my show birds i mix my own ration

it contains

3 kg Pollard
3 kg Bran
1kg Sorghum
1kg Canary Mix
1kg Cracked Corn (NOT FOR WHITE CHOOKS it turns them Yellow)
1kg White French Millet
0.5kg Rabbit Pellets (Lucerne Pellets)
1kg Grey Stripe Sunflower
0.5kg Black Sunflower (high Fat Content)
2kg Wheat

just go to your local feed store and get the amounts you need they usually sell it in small quantities then put it into an old feed bag and shake it all around and vwala you have your feed

and i also add when i actually feed it to the chooks
2 g Protexin
and 4g ABD extra multivitamin (International Animal Health)
and 100ml molasses
and water to moisten it, just enough so the pollard and bran bind and are no longer dusty

I can make small quantities and post it to you 1kg-10kg
and i can also get a full range of poultry leg bands, vitamins, supplements, wormers, you name it i can try and get it

email me andrew.l.carroll@education.nsw.gov.au

Ph 0434626082
http://www.wauchopepoultryclub.webs.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:17 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

As suggested earlier in the thread, try adding liquid to your disliked pellets; grate some carrot/apple, chuck in a tin of cheap cat food, let it sit for 5-10mins, and then give that to the chooks.

I'll be greatly surprised if there's much left afterwards. For some reason, chooks don't like pellets, regardless of what's actually IN the pellets. They like smaller things, and particularly like textured mush. I suspect if sunflower seeds came in pellet shape, they wouldn't eat it!!

There is apparently a layer's mix that comes in a crumble, like chick crumble; I remember reading about it in here some time back, but I can't remember which brand does it. I reckon chooks will hoe into that ...

You can buy an actual layer's mash, which is feed in a powdered format, designed to have liquid added before serving. It actually smells nicer than the pellets; it smells like a rather tasty human porridge. I use it particularly in winter and mix it with ordinary pellets with hot water (it cools by the time it gets to them), plus the usual bits'n'pieces (including scratch mix for texture variety, Livamol for general good stuff, molasses for flavour, and occasional added sunflower seeds, cracked corn, or whatever else I've bought in bulk recently) for a steaming mash in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:56 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yes I too have fussy pekins Huney007. I give them a mixture of 17% laying mash plus some mixed grains from the produce store. I have just started the mixed grains and they dont seem to like them so i will have to try them on a different grain mix. I dont know the brand it was, they are made up in 10kg bags that the produce shop make. My pekins are about 6 months old and they too feel scrawny and i am also worried about their weight. I will see how they go on different grains though. Is there anything that i should be looking for when looking at grains? I was just reading that you should avoid barley because chickens find it hard to digest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'm with infoaddict on this. My hens had unlimited access to pellets and some scratch mix in the morning (before my daughter went to school). After two weeks, they were pecking and not laying, because they were refusing to eat the pellets if there was a chance they'd get the scratch mix.

We stopped scratch mix for a month, giving them a mash in the morning with pellets, scraps and maybe some cat food. They love the mash and eventually got into the habit of eating pellets again. The scratch mix is now strictly a treat, especially when we want to get them in their coop a bit earlier in the evening! :)

BTW Stella, I love the way your chooks have trained you!

Nic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

i have found that using castlereagh feeds breeder crumble from a few weeks before first lay works great they dont seem to waste any and its good for the younger birds as they cant choke on the pellets. They all get wild bird seed thrown on the ground when its there turn for a few hours free time but they dont seem to gorge themselves on it as though there hungry just pick through. ive found that chickens will eat food they recognise as being food and sometimes if you go from starter crumble to pellet they seem to not eat for a while so the water trick would work great dont forget its not just bought feeds they need i found that by cutting out there green pick and there household scraps like bacon rind etc made them slow in there growth as well as turn some to egg eating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I was also feeding Barastoc Darling Downs Mash with the pellets and had problems with waste, I tried a few things but ended up trying the Barastoc Top Layer and have used it and other types of fine mash since as a main feed for the Layers, I use a bucket and tray type feeder with very little waste now. Any one else use fine dry mash as a main feed ? :hmmm: I was worried about them breathing it in at first funnily enough, sounds silly I know. No problems though and they seem to do well on it.

Bob

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

chookster wrote:
I use the Vella pellets, but in addition I make my own feed up fromlose ingredients from garden, supermarket and feed store, and vary it.

They get just pellets some days and my mix others.

I also use soluvet.

I add extra sunflowers, cracked corn on cold days and now in the evening as it gets cold overnight.
They also get a good dose of malt syrup (like mollases) mixed through the feed 2 - 3 times a week, and its great for sick ones.

I add lucerne pellets wetted with warm water, oats, bran and wheat germ all powderd, lactose free milk to moisten the feed for the younger lot, a bit of yogurt, garlic, chopped fresh chives and assorted grated fruits and veges.
i also mix the grower or layer through it.
Sometims I add a good rabbit mix in too and they love it.

I spoil them too much. The ones fed on this diet have done really good, I havnt been doing it long but I can see the difference.

Sarah.

I'm coming to live at your house. They eat better than what I do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I don't feed that way anymore, I have since switched to barastoc. Went off it for a while, realised how good they were on the barastoc and went back to it. But I use meat finisher pellets to get the bodies on them, then ease off onto breeder. Mine eat the pellets no trouble. A bit of roo mince a couple of times a week and fresh cut fruit and veg when it's in season. Try cutting a whole apple in half and putting it in front of them. Mine eat it all including the skin, just ripping out chunks. I do the same with zuchini, babako, cuccumber bannanas, whatever is there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:29 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I don't even cut the apple - jut put it on the ground and stomp on it so it's all split and broken. They don't like whole fruit - I think they find it hard to "get in" - but when it's all broken up and crumbled, they go for it.

I've used the Barastoc layer's "mash" since writing the above post. I wouldn't have a problem feeding it "dry", as it's more a crumble than a powder. I just wish it came in 30kg sacks!

I'm using pellets at the moment that don't absorb water as well as my usual ones - they're more "shiny" and slightly larger than (Coprice, maybe?? Can't remember!) - and they're not going down as well as usual. (They were on special and the store had run out of my usual Laucke HomeLay).

On the other hand, I'm now switching to soaked and sprouted grains (wheat, corn and lupins primarily), so I'm hopefully cutting down on the pellets a bit anyway ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:37 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I pierce an apple with a thick piece of wire and hang it from a D shackle on a star picket. Keeps em entertained for hours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I have been told by a vet that layer pellets must not be mixed with grains. This would prevent the chooks taking their own choice and leaving the pellets behind. Layer pellets are supposed to be a complete food. Adding grains changes the nutritional value and unless we know exactly what we are doing it's safer to stay with the pellets.
Adding some greens and the occacional treat should make the diet healthy and simple.

Please correct me if wrong, I don't really know and hope that I'm doing the right thing by listening to people who have more chook knowledge than me..... :hmmm:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:00 am 
We also use this brand of scratchmix as we have managed a $$$ deal for quantity.

We found the top pecking order was getting in and taking all the good bits but not eating everything which would give them a balanced diet.

So we removed the mix and replaced with Barastoc Golden Yolk Pellets. Egg count dropped, girls carried on like they were never fed for a few days etc. you know their drill on chook diet change.

So as a compromise we now add to our wheelie bins: Barrastoc 1 x scratch to 1 x pellets.

We give 6 litres [its the jug size] of this mixture, scattered around outside the enclosure for breakfast, and we give exactly the same in the feed troughs within the enclosure for dinner.

This feeds near 200 chooks for half an hour and while this sounds like not enough food, our girls freerange on 100 acres of native grasses all day long.

By dinner time they all look like they have swallowed tennis balls which is why they were picking at the bits within the scratch mix instead of eating all of it.

After much trial and error, we now have them eating both seed and pellets, at least before bed.
I'm sure the easterns and rosellas are eating the pellets from breakfast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:46 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I've had the same problem re: mixed feeds. I used to use the Barastock brand but my chooks just shovelled the pellets out and ate the grain only. Then the dustier mash would settle and solidify and stop any grain flowing through my treadle feeder. I've just started putting a mix of 10 parts wheat, 1 part cracked corn and 1 part black sunflower in the feeder, then letting them out to forage for at least 4 hours a day, sometimes up to twelve hours for the rest as well as giving them kitchen scraps. I have a 16 by 15 metre chook yard with lots of weeds and plants and being brown leghorns they just love it and there's only half a dozen of them so it's tonnes of room for them to get any lack of nutrition from green pick and worms and grubs.
On the matter of egg eating I bought SKA rollaway nest boxes to avoid this. I have found both from my own observation and my father's that if you feed pellets only stick to the same brand regardless of who makes it. When ever I changed brands in the past egg eating started immediately and to my knowledge once a chook starts to eat eggs it's nearly impossible to stop! I don't know why this was but it may have been to do with the different vitamins and minerals in different brands.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We had been feeding Red Hen free range, but last shop the husband bought a different one by mistake. It is still red hen layers, but is is ground down, more like a crumble of seeds & grains. They can't sift & sort like the free range mix.

The girls & boys seem to enjoy it & the young girls are just coming into lay for the first time, 2 or 3 so far, and one of the old girls. I can tell the difference, the old girl leaves dark brown eggs.

They all look superb. The old Isa looks fabulous on the Red Hen. Her previous owners (they left a few birds for us when they moved out) fed Wagners organic. I thought she was not long for this world, she was faded & just looked old. Now she is glowing with health. Her new feathers came in and she looked even better, she is a proper red hen now. I don't think she is laying (positive) but that's ok. I'm just glad she is healthy again and she is such a nosey, friendly girl, she sprints across the paddock when the cracked corn & wheat come out. :clnava