Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - egg eating chickens foil rollaway nesting box

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

My current batch of girls are bad. 5 Isa's and a big bully leghorn called Pearl. They have discovered a taste for egg and despite filling shells with chilli, (they ate the chilli) feeding them alot more, (stopped them for awhile) they have started again. We built a home made rollaway nesting box which they perched on over night and shat all over. They usually perch elswhere but wanted to let us know what they thought of our box. Later we found 2 eggs in among the poo and the chooks bending down looking for the eggs. I hate to say it but, as most advisers have told me, humane dispatch could be the final solution. Any advice on egg eating or designing the perfect rollaway box appreciated. I have seen some on english websites, with plastic inserts, but very few here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:56 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Pip,

Bellsouth http://www.bellsouth.com.au have a range of rollaway nests. Click on equipment then on nests. I havent had a need for them, but been told they are good. They also post the stuff out should you buy anything.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:57 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Pip,
It can be a hard problem to solve. Eggs filled with hot stuff usually dont work as chooks dont have much of a sense of taste.
I had a pen of silkies a few months ago that jumped on and ate any egg as soon as it was laid. I spread golf balls thru the pen, which they tried to eat, discovered they couldnt and got sick of trying. We started to collect eggs from that pen the next day. For larger chooks try placing alot of those fake eggs in the layer boxes to discourage them. Not sure if golf balls will work for larger chooks but worth a try. Hard core egg eaters may be better with fake eggs.
Other than that, you need a rollaway nest where the eggs roll to the outside of the pen..ie: thru the wall, so the chooks cannot even see the eggs.
Also make sure thay have plenty of calcium in their diet. The habit is already established so wont help much at this point but for the future.
Some one else may have some more ideas.
Cheers
ISAGreen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

You need to make the places they lay where you don't want them laying... uncomfortable.

Make the box as dark as possible.. and if possible use lighting in the areas they are laying now.

Maybe try putting something scratchy or thorny over the top of the box to discourage them from sitting on it.

Sarah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:17 pm 
Drawing follows... Hope this isn't too late to help. I had the same problem and it went through the whole flock as a nasty habit. I made a simple roll nest using bits of timber I had lying around and needing only a wood saw, hammer and nails to make. I bought a $6 foam roll mat for camping and cut it out as a nest liner (as you can't use shavings or straw because they hamper the roll). Other people use astroturf (which I found tends to stop the egg rolling easily) or even synthetic carpet.
Simply prop the nest box up at the rear so eggs will roll readily toward the front. Then make some kind of a catcher at the front. I made the one shown and it works but sometimes flips over when the hens hop over to get into the nest. Any better means of securing it in place would make it perfect, e.g. could fix it to the nest box and make the front panel openable by hinges. Too fiddly for me... I've since replaced my flock for other reasons but the roll nest worked for six months with no eggs lost.
I'm sure you could improve but here it is:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

There was a simple adaptation made to a nest box on Better Homes & Gardens in a recent (TV) program - I will check the latest issue of the magazine for details, when I can get to my library. :)

Post subject: Re: What a great Idea.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello Chooken,
thanks for sharing your sketch here.
I was looking for a "how to build" idea of such a nest for quite a while and yours looks really easy to make.
I will try and make one and hope our new chooks will use it.
The old ones are in chookieheaven now but they were the eggeaters at the end of their laying time.

I will post a photo when I am making progress.
Thanks again for sharing your ideas!
Gabi

chooken wrote:
Drawing follows... Hope this isn't too late to help. I had the same problem and it went through the whole flock as a nasty habit. I made a simple roll nest using bits of timber I had lying around and needing only a wood saw, hammer and nails to make. I bought a $6 foam roll mat for camping and cut it out as a nest liner (as you can't use shavings or straw because they hamper the roll). Other people use astroturf (which I found tends to stop the egg rolling easily) or even synthetic carpet.
Simply prop the nest box up at the rear so eggs will roll readily toward the front. Then make some kind of a catcher at the front. I made the one shown and it works but sometimes flips over when the hens hop over to get into the nest. Any better means of securing it in place would make it perfect, e.g. could fix it to the nest box and make the front panel openable by hinges. Too fiddly for me... I've since replaced my flock for other reasons but the roll nest worked for six months with no eggs lost.
I'm sure you could improve but here it is:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 am 
Hi, and thanks, Eggy.
Actually there was a funny end to my story... After years of dealing with chooks becoming egg eaters I found a goanna in the pen. I closed the small hole it got in through and stopped roll nesting — haven't lost an egg since. All along it wasn't my hens.
But the cupboard did help even with the goannas.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:25 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

The Housing Index links to a few more threads about this subject. They are also called "trap nests"and there are plans in at least one - particularly on a Marans site... :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am 
Sorry, Pip, I called you Eggy... Silly me!
Jennie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:56 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Actually cackles, the 'Trap Nests' on the Marans site are not for egg eaters. They are to identify which layer is laying which egg. Once she has laid the hen is trapped in the nest with her egg untill someone lets her out. So I think they'd likely make egg eating worse, not better! :lol: Of course it would stop anyone else eating her eggs.

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:11 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

:P http://www.midlandpoultry.com/products.htm#279439485

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

As soon as my pullets start to colour up I toss a few plastic eggs in the pens. They soon learn that there is nothing of interest for them & ignore the eggs. When they start laying I have no problems.
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:lol: :lol: Well there you go! Some peop0le DO call roll away nests, trap nests. Thanks for the link, cackles! However, the Trap nests listed in the indexes above are not rollaways - they are for trapping the hen in the nest box, rather than trapping the egg.

You learn someything every day!

NellyG :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:help: One of my girls just started eating her eggs 2 days ago..... I think it started when I went out with a light to put some grain out for them when I got home after dark. The girls got off their perch and munched away.. The next morning I got up and one girl had obviously slept in the nesting box :( and the other must have layed an egg from the perch as there was remnents of yolk on ground under the perch with the egg shell a little further away (possibly from them being curious and pecking at it). As I didn't have much around, I stuck an egg timer (which is shaped like an egg), a golf ball and a door handle in the nesting box to help distract any pecking. Yesterday one egg was layed and luckily my daughter got home mid afternoon and collected it. This afternoon, I got home and in amongst my fake eggs was one egg in tack and one broken egg with the yolk still untouched. NOT HAPPY.... I work full time, so I am unable to get eggs as they are laid.

I know there are many topics on this subject, but of course, when you are looking for them you can never find them... so here I am.

I'm not clever enough and not sure if our nesting box can be modified to use the roll away system which many have mentioned/described. I was given 5 plastic fake eggs today at work, which I will fill to make them a little heavier and put in their box to hopefully confuse and bore them into stopping .. So apart from that, is there any other simple suggestions I could try :?: :?: :?: