Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Feeding

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Great resource for all those noob feeding questions. :D I second it to beecome a sticky.

Orpingtons & Araucanas...bantam
Gold Lace Wyandottes...standard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks, Sammiiz, that's what I thought - that the acidity was the important bit.

I live in an urban setting, so it's actually easier for me to buy from the supermarket than from a stock feed place, and we only have two girls, so we're not exactly getting through litres of ACV :) But I will see if I can find a source of the cloudy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:57 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Hi guys. I don't do Stickies in Housing Feeding and Husbandry any more (this used to be one!) as there was nearly a full page of them. So now we have the Index's at the top. If you go to the Feeding Index it has lots of links to different topics and this Feeding thread features prominently. If you go to Apple Cider Vinegar for example: Hey Presto! it will link you to this Feeding Thread!

NellyG :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:18 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wow! What a great post. I'm getting my first point of lay chickens this weekend and I need to sort out a few bits and pieces for them. I came on to check out food requirements, feeders, waterers and I've hit the jackpot. I'm going to post this and press print. Thank you for all the time you put into it.
:D :D

Post subject: Re: Feeding
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I dont use normal milk or milk for human consumtion just never thought of it as I know it is not good for my other pets. I use powdered milk for animals called Barn Yard. I use it for bottle fed lambs, kittens, calves etc. It works a treat and I have had no ill effects. I mainly use it in birds that need a little conditioning and my birds for the POT :shock:

Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is just brilliant NellyG
Many thanks. Answered all my questions and then some. :thanks:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:08 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:oops: thankyou RockychOOk!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:58 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello i am new to backyard chooks and we currently have 4 isa browns, 2 are around 15 weeks and 2 are 13 weeks, they are currently being feed mash and lots of scraps. But we were putting potatoe peel in scrap should we not be doing this?. Also what should we put down for dusting pit for them? thanks any other important info would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Janez and welcome to BYP.

At 15 and 13 weeks I would still be feeding a grower ration - for ISA until they are 16-18 weeks or the bag is used up. If you get a non medicated feed it will be OK to use up even if they start laying. You will need to supply extra shell grit for them to help them selves to. This supplies calcium for egg shells. Don't feed too many scraps, the layer feed should supply about 90% of their diet.
Because of their high initial egg output and their tendancy to have extreme moults, ISA have a high need for protein so be sure that their feed has at least 15% protein listed on the bag, preferably more. Potato peel is OK in small quantities so long as it is not green but I prefer to put mine in the worm farm or the compost.
It is not really necessary to dust unless you have a parasite problem - check thru their feathers from time to time and look for 'crawlies'. If you find them you can treat with a product such as Pestene or Permethrin. Mostly dust bathing and preening will keep things under control.
You should also treat from time to time for worms - at least twice a year. If your girls came from a commercial supplier they were probably treated before you bought them. Ask us for advice when the time comes. Some products are more preferable than others.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:06 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great advice from Sue there!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Ty Sue, they are only getting small amount of scraps every couple of days. I will look into the feed you suggested we only got mash because fodder store suggested that's what we use. We also bought a bag of shell grit from fodder store it is very fine but they seem to like it. We have just started giving them meat as we wanted to do a lot of research on whether it was ok to do so which all say it is. We are loving having chooks and will be looking into setting up a worm farm for them soon, I noticed Bunnings has one there. We are just completing there run atm. Am sure I will have lots of questions before long and look forward to learning more about our girls.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I would use your worm farm for your garden, not the chickens, my chickens are keen on meal worms not dirt worms.

cheers