Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chook run flooring - sand?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi everyone,

We've moved to a new place and we're reusing the previous owner's chook shed and run until I get to building a new and easier to clean one. It has a completely closed in raised shed (I've cut some windows out and put rice hulls down 25 cm deep) and a ladder down to a virtually open caged area/run with a dirt floor and a roof. We free range our 11 chooks during the day and lock them in at night. The chooks drop off to sleep in the open caged area, but when we let them out in the morning they're coming out of the shed - so I'm assuming they go in there in the morning, but I dare say during our frosty winters they'll probably use the shed more.

The dirt floor in the open caged area is my problem as it gets muddy when it rains, and it's pretty hard to clean up the mess of course. I'm not so keen on using hay/ rice hulls/ etc as they'll get wet whenever it rains too, and as my partner and I both work fulltime and are about to have our first bub, I really only get to clean things out on the weekend. So I was looking around the forum and saw sand suggested which I think might work well.

I'm assuming (actually, I think I read it in one of the posts on sand flooring) that at some point you should remove the sand (probably during the yearly huge cleanout) and replace it.

So my question is - what on earth do you do with all that soiled sand?

Post subject: Compost
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

or just let it rest in a heap for a while and then use it on the garden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:24 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

I've got a sand floor. I poo pick regularly (but a fair bit gets left as you can never get it all!). Then when I do a major clean out I just throw it around the garden or orchard. system seems to work well for me!

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks - I'll give it a go.

Post subject: sand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:26 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I put sand in one of my pens purposley, It works real well to find where the snakes are, last year I tracked two, one under one of my 44 gallon drums, one under my antique bottle cuboard. Missed em both, but at least you can see where not to go. We have browns mostly and sometimes tigers.