Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rooster Problems

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rooster Problems
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:29 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Rooster Problems

Spurs
Roosters Spurs can grow very long and be a danger to children, other pets, hens and to other roosters. There are three basic methods of dealing with rooster spurs. The first is simply clipping the end off, the second removing the bulk of the spur and the third is removal of the entire spur.

Clipping the end of the spur is quick and easy and involves no pain for the rooster. If you go here http://www.poultryhelp.com/spurs.html you are able to see where on the spur it is safe to cut without causing pain or bleeding. I use dog nail cutters and then file off the rough spots.

Removing the bulk of the spur is done with an angle grinder. It causes some pain to the rooster but the heat generated cauterises the blood vessels so there is little or no bleeding.

The third method is either done when the rooster is very young and involves electrocautery of the spur bud by a vet, or surgical removal of the spur under anaesthetic.

Here are some helpful links:
Cutting Spurs
Cutting spurs
De-spurring

Crowing
Crowing roosters are an ongoing problem for some owners. Generally the problem is the early morning, but if the problem is day long there is very little you can do. I understand that the Cartilage that produces the crow is deep in the chest so is difficult to remove surgically (much further ‘in’ than the larynx where other sounds are produced).

There seems to be three options often cited and are worth trying. The first is put something over the head of the rooster at night so that he can’t extend his neck. Be aware that if you put a shelf-like structure over the perch the likelihood is that the chooks will just perch on that rather than their usual roost. I have also seen a hinged wooden frame set at just the right height that is lowered each night after everyone has roosted for the night. This method apparently can help some but is not infallible.

The second option seems to be making the hen house light proof as light seems to be a trigger for crowing in the early hours. Here ‘good enough’ isn’t. To have any hope of working the blackout has to be total (without suffocating the chooks!). However if there are any other roosters nearby that he can hear, this will start him off even in complete dark.

The third option (and seemingly the most reliable) is placing the rooster in a sound muffled box each night. This can combine the two above options as well. The box needs to be fairly thick, or a box within a box. I have heard of brick constructions being used, or wooden boxes placed in an insulated room or shed. Air must me able to enter but not too much sound to escape. Some have used a ‘bent chimney’ arrangement to allow air in but to muffle the sound. In England (where crowing is a major problem in the cities) the box is often placed under the stairs so somewhere well insulated would be best. A rooster put in a box each night gets used to the routine very quickly and it is usually easiest to do this after he has roosted at night.

This is a brick night box

Linc to thread: Rooster Night Housing

And a wooden one

link to thread: How can I stop Charlotte crowing?

Rooster damaging hens back by over enthusiastic mating

You can get poultry saddles or you can make them yourself. I haven't seen any - just photos - but they are made of thick, coarse fabric to protect the poor chooky. There is a loop goes around each wing (under their armpits wingpits then). You put the wing loop over the front end of the wing (sort of elbow) and then pull the rest of the wing through, then the other side. The saddle covers the entire back and under the wings down their sides.

Here is a picture of a poultry saddle from Deben Poultry

And my Sophie wearing a saddle

Have a look at these links:
Fitting a Poultry Saddle
Pattern for Protective Saddles for Hens

Here's another type of 'saddle' made from strong adhesive tape

Link to the article:
Inexpensive Poultry Saddle

Try cutting the nails and spurs and filing the edges smooth.

The other thing you can do is give him more hens so he doesn't get to each one so often.

NellyG