Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pekin Bantam Pullet broody @ 20wks?? 5 chicks hatched! PICS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:54 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Its a hive of activity in the chook pen at our place. We have 5 chooks and 1 was egg bound last week and is on antibiotics, one has scaly leg mites I found out last night and now...

I have one of my 20wk old Pekin Pullets Marjie who only started laying 2 weeks ago...who seems to have gone broody...

She got into the nesting box b4 dark last night which is unusal for her, and when i went and had a look an hour later she was still in there alone and stared straight thru me the way she does when she's laying. I left her another half hour and then lifted her up and found the fake eggs under her feeling VERY warm.
This morning she was out and about early but my hubby has just rang to say she is back in the nesting box, I told him to check if she;s laid an egg by lifting her up but she pecked him, which she has never done.

My question...what should I do with her...the other girls will get annoyed the she is in the one spot they all like to lay and I would LOVE to put some fertile eggs under her but can't do it till I get back from interstate in 2 wks... is she like to stay broody OR go broody again when I get back or is it all just poor timing and I'll have to just put all my eggs in the incubator as originally planned? I don't have a rooster so my fertile eggs are coming from elsewhere.

Having said all that....I'm very excited...

Last edited by CluckyChick on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

You could put her in a broody cage by herself - give her some false or unwanted eggs to sit on that would keep her broody and then replace them with the eggs you want her to hatch later. This could mean she would be broody for 5 plus weeks in total though which is ok but make sure she's healthy and got no lice etc. Move her at night so she is more likely to accept the new nesting place - it could disturb her enough to break the 'broodyness' though - which if you were going to use an incubator originally dosn't matter too much I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

So you think its possible she's broody at such a tender age?

How often do they go broody? I'd rather not separate her from the others whilst I'm not home to keep an eye on her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:13 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I think it's possible if she's been laying - bantams do mature pretty early compared to standards. And the normal routine would be to lay a clutch of eggs then sit - and repeat this if the weather & conditions are suitable. She would be a young/unproven mum though - most turn out fine by instinct but there's always the odd one that walks away halfway through or rejects the chicks. Usually they are fine. You can either leave her where she is - the other's will have to cope with laying elsewhere or like I've seen mine do - just get in the nest with her and lay (I've even seen them sit on top of each other when they insist on being broody and sharing the nest). Or you can get someone to remove her to a sin-bin where she cant nest to cool her down and break the broodyness. If it's easiest to do nothing just leave her and sort it out when you get home. Maybe give the other chooks another nest but they do prefer to use the same nest silly things. :roll: If they lay near her she will probably roll the eggs under her and try to incubate them. If you don't want this you can still pick her up (with long sleaves and gloves on :shock: ) and get the eggs from under her. She'll probably growl but then keep sitting anyway with no eggs. If she's not ready to be properly broody taking the eggs away might help her give up and you'll know she's just practising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It's funny cos my dad is going to be feeding the chooks and collecting the eggs whilst we're away and he's not very good with animals....I can just see him ringing me saying the little grey fluffy chook pecked him when he went to collect the eggs :lol:
I've given the chooks a mower catcher to lay in and they still line up (literally) to use the one spot in our nesting box which is actually big enough for 6 chooks to lay in but they all want the ONE little spot.

Last edited by CluckyChick on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:40 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Yep, I don't know why we bother making nice little rows of neat nest boxes when they all want to lay or go broody in the same nest :roll: - I guess it's just in case. I suppose it makes collecting the eggs easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Fee wrote:
Yep, I don't know why we bother making nice little rows of neat nest boxes when they all want to lay or go broody in the same nest :roll: - I guess it's just in case. I suppose it makes collecting the eggs easier.

:lol: Yeah I guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:52 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

pekins are famous for laying a clutch of eggs(6-12) and then going broody so yep she would be broody even at this tender age---if you want to set her and everyone uses the same nest you could try moving her(doesn't always work) or if you need to stop her being broody, lock her away from any nests---an elevated cage is best , cools them down quicker-----cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

pjh wrote:
pekins are famous for laying a clutch of eggs(6-12) and then going broody so yep she would be broody even at this tender age---if you want to set her and everyone uses the same nest you could try moving her(doesn't always work) or if you need to stop her being broody, lock her away from any nests---an elevated cage is best , cools them down quicker-----cheers pam

Thanks Pam, I think I'll see what she does over the next few days and see if the other chooks cope ok...I'm going away for a week next Wednesday so if everyone is happy I'll leave them in together and shove some fertile eggs under her when I return...

I'll see what she thinks of being moved tonight :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Took a couple of pics of our very snappy broody pekin who is normally very happy to be patted :lol: My husband is lucky he didnt lose a hand.

She's sitting on 2 fake eggs and has been most of the day except for about 2hrs tonight when she had a freerange...we offered her another fake egg and she snapped it up :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:39 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

What a pretty hen!! Love the colour!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

mittymoo wrote:
What a pretty hen!! Love the colour!!!

Thanks Mitty...she's a blue Pekin bantam....so beautiful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

stunning little girl...sooooo pretty :D

Last edited by jmac on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:45 pm 
Swan
Swan

Jack i think the name is Marjie. yes she is a nice looking hen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:52 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

veg gardener wrote:
Jack i think the name is Marjie. yes she is a nice looking hen.

Did I miss something here? :?:

:D