Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How can I stop Charlotte crowing?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:48 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,

We're about to move house to another residential rental property, and we're a little anxious about the neighbours reaction to the chooks. Not to mention the landlord/real estate as we neglected to mention the 10 extra tenants who would be residing in the garden :shock: So we really really don't want complaints.

We will make sure they are shut away for the first few weeks with no free ranging, and that their food doesn't even remotely begin to run out.

Our biggest concern is Charlotte, our crowing chook. She is undoubtedly a hen, she lays an egg every day. However around dawn most days she crows. She stands up tall on her toes and holds out her wings and crows. It's not nearly as loud as a rooster's crow, but it is much louder than the other hens' morning chatter.

If we try a deterrent like hosing her with water while she's doing it or similar, is there a chance it'll work? Is she likely to eventually associate the unpleasant experience with the noise she's making?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, El.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:54 pm 
Swan
Swan

may be try a rooster box but then i can be called a rooster/hen box.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Detterent methods dont appear to work sorry. As Ben said, you could build her a soundproof box, it doesnt cut the crow out completely but it does reduce it a hell of a lot which is what you need in the early mornings.

J

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Swan
Swan

yep, just another thing is that you must be awake to her it crow because i never hear my rooster(s) grow unless i am awake.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:40 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Ben's Chooks wrote:
i never hear my rooster(s) grow unless i am awake.

:? Odd, I never ever hear my roosters grow... Then again I am not sure he has anymore growing to do

On the other hand, I find keeping fergus muffled in his little coop house helps with his crowing. It's not actually sound proof, but he doesn't have a loud bark so I block his entrance over night and it would probably cut the noise by half.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If a rooster is kept in a box over night, does he still crow once he is let out of the box? I have not kept a rooster (yet!) because we live in suburbia... but our City Council does allow them.... so.... well,, YES! I am toying with the idea but would like to have a backup plan if the neighbours get irritated.... or for that matter... WE get irritated at 4am, lol!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 am 
Swan
Swan

i ment crow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

NZkiwi2007,

This is one of my rooster night boxes. We also have no rules governing roosters, however we do have noise laws which the council reacts to. Having just gone through the whole process with them. The whole issue was about crowing early in the morning....councils dont react to complaints during the day, hence the boys stay in these until about 8am and get put away about 8pm.

They work well muffling the sound. The walls are filled with sound absorbing batts and the inner walls are lined with peg board.

J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:42 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ben's Chooks wrote:
yep, just another thing is that you must be awake to her it crow because i never hear my rooster(s) grow unless i am awake.

Doesn't apply to everyone - I used to be woken up by mine, or any noise in the night, I'm just a light sleeper!

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:45 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

im wondering if u have a freind with chickens and a rooster could Charlotte go there for a few days on holiday and the shed realise shes not a rooster?
just a thought
tes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

El, I'm a landlord, but I'm also a chook owner. Even so, I would not be keen on a tenant with 10 chooks, so you're going to have to tread carefully. I know you will be responsible, but some people wouldn't and a garden can get trashed pretty quickly by 10 chooks - that would be a landlord's concern. You will probably be in breach of your lease.
If I was you, I would talk to the neighbours very soon after you move in. They're going to find out pretty quickly you have chooks - especially if one of them starts crowing. And if they get their nose out of joint, they may tell the agent (or they may even be in contact with the house owner). I would explain that you have a hen that thinks it's a rooster and sometimes crows at dawn - but not as loudly as a rooster. And I would take them some eggs - that always helps.
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Jocler: Wow! Your boxes are great! Thanks so much for posting your photos... .and enough of a description so I know what I need to do to make one. LOVE the idea of the Batts too!

Still questioning if the rooster would crow after they are out of the box and throughout the day... I imagine they would, just to announce to the world that they are there! Most of our neighbours work during the day so I would be okay with that, if that were the case. I am at home during the day so I could always get out there an 'intervene' if need be I suppose.

At any rate... a rooster can not possibly be any louder than 'Jake', the neighbours dog!! :shock: Must remind myself to look into the Noise Laws here, now that you mention it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 am 
i find hens will crow when they cannot get into a nest box (being used), cannot find a nest box or unhappy with the nest box. keeping 4 golf balls in her nest box might make her happy.

k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

We have a silky roo who when left to his own devices when we moved here and didn't have adequate pens for all our chooks would roost on a pipe under our bedroom. I was very pregnant at the time and needed my sleep, he would crow at around 3 or 4am and generally keep it going. I put him in a cardboard box, it was dark and stopped him crowing, he did however crow when I let him out so it really didn't stop him crowing but it stopped him doing the early morning thing at least.

Like somoeone else said perhaps a visit to a "real" rooster might help her realise she is not one?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks all for your posts and suggestions...the rooster box looks great.

We just got back a few days ago from 10 days of camping (had people coming over daily to tend to chooks) and Charlie hasn't crowed since we got back, which is good, although our dotte chicks have grown and the pecking order seems to be going through a bit of a reshuffle which is proving a little noisy. At least we have found a good home for our 2 roos.

ScottB, I appreciate your comments, and we're mindful of the problems that could come up with the new property. We're renting our current house as well, and started getting the chooks after we moved in. We decided not to mention it to the real estate agent, although knew we weren't going to be able to hide the fact as the landlords live right next door. In fact, on the first day we brought our first 3 layers home, one flew directly out of our yard and settled on the land lords roof. Which was terrifying, because the landlords have never acknowledged our existence and don't speak to us. Luckily only the teenage son was home, who was very obliging in climbing on their roof and returning the bird. They didn't ever complain about us having chooks, except for when we had a couple of chicks grow into roosters and started crowing, but that's fair enough - they're illegal in this council, and we were already in the process of rehoming them as soon as they started crowing.

We deliberated about telling the new landlords about the chooks and decided not to for now, although we did let them know about our dogs and they advertised the house as 'pets allowed'. We know that it will come up, and ultimately will be prepared to reduce our flock if we need to (if nothing else we'll hold on to our japs. How could anyone take offence to them? they couldn't scratch up blade of grass if they tried, and they're so quiet).

We are planning on writing a letter to all surrounding neighbours as soon as we get to the new place and ask them to speak to us if they find the noise a problem. We'll also hand out some eggs for extra points. And we're planning to build a new enclosure straight away - they will stay in their a-frame coop/arks until the new home is built.

The garden is large, and has a large area of dead grass, so we'll put the chooks there. And while I understand the concern the landlord might have about the garden being destroyed, our current garden has gone from strength to strength since having the chooks...they free range all day, and the roses are beautiful and all the plants and the lawn are healthy and perfect. There are a few areas of dirt around the edges and under trees and they have all their baths and scratches there, so they haven't done any damage, quite the opposite. Hopefully this will be the case at the new place.

At any rate, we're willing to be flexible, and if needs be we'll move again at the end of the lease and ensure we get somewhere chook friendly :|

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with moving into a new rental property? Any advice other than handing out eggs to the neighbours?

Thanks

El