Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wet, wet, wet up here in the tropics!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

So sick of all this rain but it happens every year. The good outweighs the bad at other times. Just wondering how other Nth Queenslanders are coping with their chooks. We have a few adjustments to make to our pens. I've never had water in them before. I've had to put pallets in there to keep them dry. It's only a night time lockup to keep them safe from snakes so they're roosting then but I still feel sorry for them. So far no cocci to deal with though. How does everyone else up here cope in the wet that may be different to a drier area? Different housing, feeding etc. Anyone from Ingham, I hope it's ducks that you are breeding!

Cheers
Sonya

[color=#800080][/color]Cows, chooks, ducks, guineafowl, dogs, cats, kids and the quiet country life. Wake up every morning and be grateful that you did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

ruff has made an excellent post on wet weather tips here. there may be some things in there which can help you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

great tips ruff you have to make sure your birds are high and dry up this way and food does go off very quickly when relative humidity is around 95 % and temp constantly around 30. At least its been fairly dry up here last month we only had about 1metre of rain just like the old wet seasons.Big bonus is all the rain is keeping the snakes away.
Marto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:58 am 
i have just learnt something new.

hydrated lime on wet smelly areas. especially if there is an amonia smell...like when you get 4 b----y steers get into your shed and defaecate and a urinate everywhere and knock over everything. and the there are leaks.

cairns yesterday...not sure if you would see any of the mountains today:

k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you, I will look at Ruffs post on wet weather. I have been up here for quite a few years so I'm used to it, but this would have to be the wettest wet that I seen for a long time. Ruff, I know how you feel. I've done the cattle and horses thing, getting into feed bins, sheds and stuck in fences at midnight, chooks are a little bit easier. Where are you Marto? It has been continually wet here in Kennedy for the past month. You may be further inland than me. Wet weather doesnt keep the snakes away. They love it. Travelling only 11km to work I can guarantee to see at least one snake on the road at night when it has been raining. I'm talking about pythons only though, the only ones I worry about because they eat my chooks, I rarely see the venomous snakes here.

Cheers
Sonya

[color=#800080][/color]Cows, chooks, ducks, guineafowl, dogs, cats, kids and the quiet country life. Wake up every morning and be grateful that you did.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:36 pm 
yes my friend has at least 3 of these hanging around her rafters:

she made sure she had plenty of distance between me and her when i started trying to get good close ups...i mentioned she should be around when i am photographing my browns.

these amethistynes require regular donations of pekin roosters or they try to help themselves. her cages are like fort knox with bricks and heavy wire and netting around them. i only took one donation as i have been very harsh on culling myself this year but better these fellows have them than in the rubbish bin.

k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Lapsteeler
I am in Cairns have not had as much rain as you guys but still enough . The only reasonthe rain keeps the snakes away from the chooks is that there is a creek at the back boundary that really gets pumping when it rains . On the other side of the creek is a heap of undeveloped land where the snakes live. When it is not raining the creek is a nice little stream and easy for the snakes to cross.We have pulled six Pythons out this year already and have to check every night there are no unwanted visitors
Marto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh Hi Marto,
I was actually just replying to Ruffs post when yours came up and I started reading that and lost everything that I'd typed. How interesting! I'd never thought of the creek stopping snakes like that. I don't live on a creek so I only have an occasional problem. My block is relatively cleared but next door is snake heaven. As long as my pens are secure nightime I don't have a problem. You learn something new everyday!

Cheers
Sonya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:35 pm 
i just emptied the rain gauge in case it overflows during the night, 62 mls today so far. 243 mls since the 1st of feb...not much compared to the coast but now the rain has started up here it will make it worse on the coast with the rain from the rivers in the johnstone, herbert and barron catchments. s'pose the roads will be blocked to cairns soon.

i am going to have to dig a trench for the water to drain out of my indian pen tomorrow as the boys are sleeping in the water as they cannot perch...they have a log to sit on but i don't think it ocurred to them.

k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:12 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I am so glad that I'm not the only one with wet floors in my chook pens. I bought gumboots yesterday. I haven't had them for twenty years! I have been walking around in bare feet. Mud and chook s*** doesn't worry us here, but I am getting a sore foot and that is a worry in the tropics as it is swelling up. I've been digging trenches and draining pens today. Anyway, back to the snake topic. Your pekin donations gave me a good idea. I don't have a big snake problem but I get the occasional visitor. I have a few cockerals that I don't want. I am going to leave them out from now on at night, that's the only time we ever lose a chook from a snake, and if it's gone in the morning...a) I'll know there's a snake around. .....b) It won't be hungry for a few weeks. ......and c) I won't be wasting money feeding a chook that is no good to me. Can't lose! I lose an occasional chook if they find a hole in my pen and I hate that but I still love snakes. I used to keep black snakes as pets years ago. That photo you took is very good. Good on you knowing how to spell it. I can never remember! It's just shed its' skin too. That telltale rainbow sheen. Full points to your friend for not killing them but I can understand people that do when they lose chooks. I know I've felt the same way then. Oh, I did try to find out who has Silver Sebrights for you but no one seems to know.
I haven't looked at the rainguage today. One night we got 6.5 inches. What's that, 162.5mm I think.
Cheers
Sonya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:12 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

[these amethistynes require regular donations of pekin roosters or they try to help themselves. [/quote]
Are thes the pythons that get big enough to eat wallabies.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am 
i had to look up the dictioanary every time i wrote amethystene :lol:

i don't think the amethystene python grows that big but it is pretty big. i think the scrub python grows that size but i am not up on any snakes. the old timers laugh at you calling an 8foot snake big....they remember snakes you would not tackle alone. i have seen one rainy night at the bottom of the gillies range a large python that spanned across both sides of the road.

i wear steel cap gumboots ever since cyclone larry. i live on an old farm full of barbed wire, corrigated iron, broken glass etc etc plus the snakes i won't kill. nothing i can do about the mess unless we had a bull dozer....80+ years of never throwing things in a selected dump and allowed to really run down over the last 30. sheds rot where they fall. but it is a home.

karen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:45 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Check out these sites on just what the amethystine can get up to.
I had to help one of my kids look up these not long ago and was amazed at the size they get to.

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/snakes/feeding.asp
(this one shows An Amethyst Python eating a wallaby

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/ar ... 01832.html

Huney

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

It is so wet up this way that the chookens have made a wadding pool in their yard and are quacking like ducks. :shock:

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:50 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Please keep more or less to the topic when posting! :biggrin:

NellyG (mod)