Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What size leg rings?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What size leg rings?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have been looking at getting some leg rings so I can put them on the clucky chooks and I also need to put them on the younger chooks so as they grow I can tell who is who. Our chooks are mainly Australorpe, so I guess they are larger hens. I looked at a web site and the sizes are 8mm, 12mm, 16mm and 20mm. Just wandering if someone can give me some idea on what size I will need.

140 chooks including standards (Australorps, Sussex & SL and BLG Wyandottes), Pekin bantams including Buff, Black, Columbian, Blue, Mottle, Mille, Mealy grey, Furness, Cuckoo, Lavander cuckoo & frizzle. Belgian D'Uccle in Blue & Mille.

Post subject: Re: What size leg rings?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Doesn't the Bellsouth website give you an indication? I'm sure Bellsouth has some size guide on there somewhere. I wouldn't know otherwise and I have bought off them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I use 20mm on my sussex if that is any help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The size number of all bands is determined by the inside diameter of the band in 1/16ths of an inch.
So a ring size 9 is 9/16 of an inch.
Breed Size
X Heavy Geese, Turkeys 16
Ducks, Indian Game 14
Heavy Game, Sussex 12
Medium Australorp, Wyandotte 11
Light Leghorn, Layers 9
Bantams, RIR, Squab 7
Small Modern, Pigeons 6
Quail 4
Diameter 25mm 22mm 20mm 18mm 15mm 12mm 10mm 6mm

I have plagiarised this off the Bellsouth site (apologies to Jim)
bellsouth.com.au
The original is at Equipment, Identification, then the top link

I have seen another which is better but not sure where .....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:57 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Brookfield has a much better table.

http://www.brookfieldpoultryequipment.c ... -chart.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:28 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks all for that I now can place an order.

140 chooks including standards (Australorps, Sussex & SL and BLG Wyandottes), Pekin bantams including Buff, Black, Columbian, Blue, Mottle, Mille, Mealy grey, Furness, Cuckoo, Lavander cuckoo & frizzle. Belgian D'Uccle in Blue & Mille.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:02 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I use cable ties. Much cheaper, and although you have to change them as they grow for chickens, you can colour code them to whatever you want. I got a pack of 200 from K-Mart for $3.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:34 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Kaz - I'd advise getting a few different sizes. I just received my 4th batch over the years - have bought from Lentra, Brookfield and recently a large order (140 rings) from Bellsouth. The click on ones are only good if they are the right size and some birds are more inclined to work them off than other birds. Cheap ones can be false economy - good quality ones will last years and can be re-used several times.

At least with the flat bands they can be adjusted in diameter by putting them in a cup of hot water for a few seconds. Despite the best advice on the correct size of the clic -type ones from Brookfield they are just too big - even the large Sussex can get out of the size that was recommended for them (sorry can't put my hands on that order at the moment).The size 12 from Lentra have been the best most generally useable ones I have - for most size chooks and ducks (Mallard & Campbell). The last order which should keep me in bands for a few years I bought sizes 7 (for ducklings when first sexed at about 5 weeks) as well as sizes 9, 11 & 12. The same size isn't the same between suppliers even when they state the diameter - maybe inner and outer? And birds of the same breed can have quite varied size legs...

I don't like the spirals as much as the plain (or numbered) flat bands. With Bellsouth watch the packet size - the numbered bands actually work out cheaper per band than the un-numbered ones. Different suppliers have different numbers of bands per lot and Lentra was actually willing to do me a packet of mixed colours which was helpful for identifying my Australorps. Pick colours that contrast with colour of bird legs.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:41 pm 
Swan
Swan

yep same as nick just keep cable ties i got them on the old ones not my new ones yet not sure how the leg rings go at shows do you have them all on all your birds nick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I Have them on most of my birds Ben, but only for my own identification. As long as there is no identification (number, letter etc) the shows should be fine with them.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:53 pm 
Swan
Swan

ok then

P.S Nick please come on MSN.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi do you have the website for lentra please....what size would you use for chicks then?

sharon
cackles wrote:
Kaz - I'd advise getting a few different sizes. I just received my 4th batch over the years - have bought from Lentra, Brookfield and recently a large order (140 rings) from Bellsouth. The click on ones are only good if they are the right size and some birds are more inclined to work them off than other birds. Cheap ones can be false economy - good quality ones will last years and can be re-used several times.

At least with the flat bands they can be adjusted in diameter by putting them in a cup of hot water for a few seconds. Despite the best advice on the correct size of the clic -type ones from Brookfield they are just too big - even the large Sussex can get out of the size that was recommended for them (sorry can't put my hands on that order at the moment).The size 12 from Lentra have been the best most generally useable ones I have - for most size chooks and ducks (Mallard & Campbell). The last order which should keep me in bands for a few years I bought sizes 7 (for ducklings when first sexed at about 5 weeks) as well as sizes 9, 11 & 12. The same size isn't the same between suppliers even when they state the diameter - maybe inner and outer? And birds of the same breed can have quite varied size legs...

I don't like the spirals as much as the plain (or numbered) flat bands. With Bellsouth watch the packet size - the numbered bands actually work out cheaper per band than the un-numbered ones. Different suppliers have different numbers of bands per lot and Lentra was actually willing to do me a packet of mixed colours which was helpful for identifying my Australorps. Pick colours that contrast with colour of bird legs.
:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:06 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

http://www.bird-rings.com/index.php?pr=Products :D