Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - HELP with an unwanted visitor (Lace Monitor Lizard)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

For the last few weeks i suspected that the laced monitor lizard my dogs had bailed up a tree was eating some of my eggs, so to test my theory i placed golf balls in the nesting boxes. Yes the golf balls disappeared all 6 of them over 2 days.

I have been collecting eggs 3 times a day so as eggs are not left and readily available for this lizard, what else can i do.

My babies are locked away in a different area i hope safely and the silkie hens in the area the lizard goes are full size, so i hope my chickens are safe and the eggs are just an easy meal.

The eggs and golf balls are white/cream, will he take them if i paint them red ????
Is he eating the eggs whole straight from the nesting box or do they take them away to eat them ???
Should i be worried for my broody hens sitting in the nest boxes ???
Where do they live ??

I have thought about moving the hens to another area to nest but am thinking the lizard will just follow.

I have limited the access to the nest boxes but he uses the one opening left for the hens to enter.

My neighbour returned some of the golf balls found in his yard at the base of a huge tree. Am thinking he takes them away out of my yard from my roaming dogs into a yard which doesnt have animals/dogs.

Yesterday i saw two huge lizards and am thinking i just want them to move home and go away. Are they only living close by because i have chicken eggs. Should i put more golf balls into the nest boxes !!

These lizards are way too scary to catch !!

I have done a bit of a google search on these HUGE lizards but have found little info on how to deter them when chicken eggs seem to be a favourite meal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Howdy
Maybe try a electric fence.Keep the wires low
That should work

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:32 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

http://www.reptilepark.com.au/animals.a ... D=12&ID=88

there is some basic info on the monitor, chances are you are in its home range territory thus being visited in its normal forage for food. The only way I know how to discourage one is to keep hounding it when it is seen, hose it, chase it noisily.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:02 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have had lots of goanna issues and this is what I have found out:

They will steal eggs every day if they can including from under a sitting duck (I lost a whole clutch of developing muscovies). One also attacked my ducklings - he had a bitten face and neck but survived. I managed to scare him and he spat the duckling out. I also lost a silkie a few days earlier and think it was the same animal. I heard the magpies yelling at something but didn't go down for another 10 minutes. The silkie was gone and a goanna was walking away.

They have problems climbing small gauge chicken wire so I have this wire (a meter high) connected to larger gauge wire at the bottom of the fence. It definately keeps them out and in - if they get in. But they learn quickly if there is another place to get in. In my case the gate is accessable to them - I need to now cover that as well. With the wire they will try to run up it but keep falling backwards - but only the big ones. I assume their claws are too big to get a purchase in the little wire holes.

If they get chased enough they will go away for a length of time. So if we see one in the pen we run down and give it heaps. Yelling, chasing, hitting with a plastic rake. This usually lasts for a couple of months and then either they get brave again or a new one moves in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:15 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

maybe the golf balls in his guts will kill him? but then he may regurgitate them.
they can eat the eggs whole so if you kill him straight away you can get the eggs out and put them back under the hen and there is a good chance of them hatching.......i still have a hen that was eaten by a goanna 4 years ago.....as an egg of course.

if you train your dogs to chase them they will leave. mine used to respond to the commotion in the chook run and chase them up a tree, they would check on him all day waiting for him to come down. eventually the goanna would leave.

k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 pm 

thanks for the advice about the extra small wire I'll tell my neighbour. My neigbours dog Husky had a run in with one about a month ago. They're very scary things my hubby had to chase it off. It was a blood bath chunks out of both dog and monitor. The lizard stayed up a tree for 2 days then went straight back to the neighbours chook pen. The dog had an expensive trip to the vets both are ok now. Wouldn't recommend dogs bailing them up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:41 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

a dog with brains helps i suppose. mine was a terrier and he was much sort after for pig hunting because he could bail the pigs up and not get hurt and barked his head off. he used the same method on a goanna. he also taught the retriever the ropes as she had little brain between the yes, just a wet black nose that ruled her mind.

k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:44 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We have a lot of these big fellows at our place. Quite often noise is all that is needed to disturb them.
They have periodically taken the eggs over the years, not normally a worry but this year a very large old fellow found the young pullets and breeders in the individual pens in the shed. It took us a while to identify what was happening to one chook/pullet every few days. The cage doors were damaged and blamed a fox, cat, dog but never thought of a big lizard. He tore the fine chicken mesh on the front door of a few of the pens and wow they were there penned for him to catch. Just one at a time. They have to exist as well as us and I have ignored the odd eggs going but this had to stop.
We moved all the birds into the big pens (not easy for him to catch there), blocked up the front of the cages and I left him a few eggs every other day. This has stopped the killing and he seems satisfied by this. There are many others around that eat the odd dead bird etc, but this fellow was/is huge. Our big yards are wired sides and top and they cannot get in but they still do try and one recently slid down between the top netting and a big tree and was caught eating eggs. The only problem with this is they get so distressed they crash into every thing and have dificulty getting out.
Their tracks are all around the house, driveway, sheds and paddocks so there are many at varying ages but they say where you have these big lizards you don't have problems with snakes and so far over all the years we have been here, we have seen few snakes near the house,therefore I will continue to support them not like an old neighbour years ago used to brag that he shot the girl (lizard)eating his eggs, when he could have secured his yard better. They are lovely creatures and I believe we need to learn to live with each other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It appears that the appearance of these big lizards in chook yards is far more common than i thought.

My dogs two kelpies are great in chasing up a tree and there persistance in watching is great but i now need to come up with a plan to make the lizards stay in my yard uncomfortable.

I will try the re wiring and making lots of noise when i see it.

I now know that my silkies are not safe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

We also have a really large one that visits,
the girls carry on and are usually right behind it as it
passes through.
Funny thing is ,the girls no longer lay in their nest box in the pen,
they now lay on top of the BBQ which is on the back deck,we now feel that
the goanna may have been 'visiting' in their pen,hence their change of nest ,
Now have nests on BBQ :oops:
Hope yours move on Backyard Silkies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

you could try a product called "shoo snake" it contains cloves, we spray it about to keep the snakes away, this summer we heard of our neigbours getting snakes but we never,

i don't know if it will work for you but it might be worth a go, you need to spray it down after mixing with water, then reapply after rain, if you just type the name into the internet it will come up, it cost about $60 per bottle, 125ml i think from memory,

hope it helps

mack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I hope my suggestion doesn't sound too simplistic, as I'm sure there's a good reason for keeping the door to the nesting area open. But perhaps you could try locking the hens in until midday, by then the eggs will be laid (by the chooks) and collected by you. Once the lizard realises there isn't a steady supply of eggs perhaps it won't visit as often?

Orpingtons & Araucanas...bantam
Gold Lace Wyandottes...standard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I need to know how to train your hens to all lay eggs in the morning, for some reason i have some laying in the morning and others mid afternoon or to my surprise overnight. I agree it would be good to close the door, remove the eggs then open and allow my lizard to have access to empty nests.

I have been collecting eggs 3 times a day !! morning, noon and night

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:03 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

[quote][/quote]I need to know how to train your hens to all lay eggs in the morning

i hope you are kidding backyard silkies?

otherwise i think you had better pose this question in husbandry or read the bottom of my email.

k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:hmmm: Aren't we in the husbandry forum? :)