Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 30kg auto feeder for $30 (The Feedmaster 30 Mk5!)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ok, after a few experiments, this is the Feedmaster 30 Mk5!! And it can be yours for the sum of approximately $30 and half an hours work!
I built this because I was sick of filling up my old 12kg feeder all the time and having feed wasted, not being happy with anything I saw on the market (especially price! :P) I decided to make something out of stuff I mostly had laying around.

Items Required:
    $10 black bin from Bunnings
    $7 plastic chair (If you don't have one of these spare in your backyard, you're unaustralian!)
    $5 plug and waste
    $4 length of 50mm pipe
    $2 50mm pipe jointer to 50mm thread
    $2 2 x plant saucer, bowl, whatever (I used what I had laying around)

Tools Needed (Assuming you have or can beg, borrow, steal.)
    Hole Saw's - 1 1/2", 3" I think, you'll know when you're putting it together
    Drill
    Saw
    Sandpaper

Then put it together something like this:
ImageImageImageImage

The The Feedmaster 30 Mk5 in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklHe3jw6YE

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Fantastic - love the video too. How is the pipe fixed inside the bin - is it just because of the wider diameter at the top? And how is the bottom "feeding station" attached - glue?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:23 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

That is fantastic! Well done on your invention. I have added a link to your post in the Feeding Index so others can find it easily!

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

andyt wrote:
... How is the pipe fixed inside the bin - is it just because of the wider diameter at the top?

Oops - just looked a bit more closely at the photos and list of items and realised what the "plug and waste" was for :oops:

Still keen to know how the base is held together, and whether you can take it apart for cleaning.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:45 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That's a great idea. It would also be good to put a sloping funnel shape piece of metal in the bottom of the bin like they do in honey drums. That way the pellets would all slide downwards.

Last edited by Chicken07 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

andyt wrote:
andyt wrote:
... How is the pipe fixed inside the bin - is it just because of the wider diameter at the top?

Oops - just looked a bit more closely at the photos and list of items and realised what the "plug and waste" was for :oops:

Still keen to know how the base is held together, and whether you can take it apart for cleaning.

Yeah :) Plug and waste in the bottom, then the feeder screws to that.

The feeder is two very closely sized saucers, the big one (with all the holes in it) slips over the little one, it's not actually joined, you can just slide it up to clean stuff out.

The smaller one is connected to the pipe with a couple of angle brackets and rivets, I just cut a 3/4" gal saddle (for attaching rural poly to whatever) in half, banged the curved bit straight on the anvil and drilled an extra hole.

Chicken07 wrote:
That's a great idea. It would also be good to put a sloping funnel shape piece of metal in the bottom of the bin like they do in honey drums. That way the pellets would all slide downwards.

KISS ;) I did consider this, but 30kg of food fits perfectly in the feeder. I empty a whole bag of feed and away you go. There's only a minimal amount of food that gets caught in the corners and I didn't think it justified any modification. I don't really let it get that low anyway as I check the level when I'm up giving my flock their daily hugs :D The main aim with most things I design is to make it simple, economical and easy to replicate :)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:51 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

You have obviously put a lot of thought into this (mk1-4? :lol: ) and seem to have everything covered. I like that is can take a whole bag of feed.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:57 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

NellyG wrote:
(mk1-4? :lol: )

Yeah... um... we don't talk about them, the original one had a dog bowl on the ground covered with 50mm welded mesh. It was working fine until I came home and a greedy roster had his head caught it in... So we've been through quite a lot since then...

The MK 4 just had the floating bottom bowl without the cover... this lead to about half a bag of feed being spread all over the floor as the bloody roo's kept digging the food out to get to the sunflower seeds!!

The MK 5 seems to be doing everything I want, so cracking a bottle of wine tonight (any excuse will do!).

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

The Feedmaster 30 Mk5, sounds like something Tim "The Toolman" Taylor would make. :D

Great work it looks very good.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:44 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It sounds really handy to be able to get the whole bag in.

Last edited by Chicken07 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Absolute brilliance, now wheres the turbo charger fit in to give it some Tim the tool man GRUNT?
Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Love the feeder :) And as for you, well you big meany!! That clip of your dog trying to get the bait out of the trap :) After all that effort and you wanted to take it off him :( Love the ducks too by the way :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Duck Diva_73 wrote:
Love the feeder :) And as for you, well you big meany!! That clip of your dog trying to get the bait out of the trap :) After all that effort and you wanted to take it off him :( Love the ducks too by the way :)

He's a little bugger! Too smart for his own bloody good. He used to break into the old chicken coop through the laying boxes and eat all the chicken pellets, then get out without a trace... took us ages to find out where all the food was going!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:03 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Sounds like my dog, he's a fool for chook food! :lol: Follows me around when I feed them so he can eat the spillage. What a great idea, clever you! :D

Michelle

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

kenour wrote:
Duck Diva_73 wrote:

He's a little bugger! Too smart for his own bloody good. He used to break into the old chicken coop through the laying boxes and eat all the chicken pellets, then get out without a trace... took us ages to find out where all the food was going!

lol kenour Hes like our dog a garbage guts by the sounds. Rayza was the second runt of the littler of 11 and had to fight for every drop of booby. It doesnt matter how much we feed him hes still hanging around looking starved or sneaking in and pinching food off the kitchen bench :) (and he doesnt have worms) lol :biggrin:

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good