Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can you overfeed a chicken? Balanced diet?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

I have three laying chickens that free range all day. They have a feeder which contains a Poultry Mix from the local feed store. They peck at this through out the day but enjoy it more when I throw it out onto the sand for them. For breakfast they get some wet Rolled Oats with a teaspoon of poultry vitamin powder. For dinner they get a mix of cooked peas, corn, capsicum, broccli & cauliflower (frozen mix), rice and scrambled eggs. Their meals get split into three little piles of about a cup for each chook. They also get kitchen scraps but I have noticed they dont actually eat them they leave them for a couple of days then dig them over and eat the worms & bugs underneath. I was also thinking of adding some cooked mince to their dinner next time I cook it.

Is this too much in a day or will they only eat as much as they need?

Does this sound balanced enough? Should I add or remove anything?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:37 pm 
Wise Gobbler
Wise Gobbler

Sounds like alot to me, but I have to admit mine are not overly spoilt, they have pellets and they work for their feed free ranging. You know a fat chook doesn't lay well, right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:02 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

you can't really overfeed chickens as they have a limit to the amount they can squeeze into their crops. What you can do is feed them too much of the wrong stuff so they eat the nice tasty bits to the detriment of other important bits and get an unbalanced diet.

From what you say, I would say you are giving too much 'special' food. The bulk of their diet sould be the balanced chook food from the shop ( either layer pellets or layer mix) with just a very small almount of other treats and extras. Unless you have worked out what exactly you need to feed of the other foods so their diet contains all the things it should in the right amounts (which is rather complicated to do).

For example ther is nothing wrong with rolled oats for them, but a cup each a day is an awful lot. That is nearly all the bulk of food they need a day! And it doesn't have nearly enought 'good stuff' in it to be the bulk of their diet. A teaspoon of vitamin powder a day is way too much too - you probably aren't going to harm them but it is a tremendous waste. Just a few gains a day is masses! If you give them any mince just a TINY bit every now and then.

I would recommend leaving them with their poultry ration ALL DAY with nothing else at all untill late afternoon or evening and then give them just a SMALL treat. That way they have all day to fill up on the good nutritious poultry mix and a bit of yummy stuff as desert at the end of the day.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:11 am 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

Thanks. I'll give it a go. I'll have to be strong coz they just look so hungry when they see me and come running up but I understand about too much of the wrong & not enough right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Yeah - you'll have to be strong! :rofl: :rofl: What you can do tho is make some plain chook pellets up into a mash with water (to a stiff consistency that you can roll into balls) and give them that. It is ALL good healthy food and they seem to love it! Or just carry some of your poultry mix with you and scatter a little on the ground when they come running - they will think it is something special. Good luck!

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:58 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You can also "treat" chooks with mixed greenstuff - they adore it to bits but lots won't harm them, as long as it's a range of different things. (Constant lettuce leaves, for eg, can give them diarrhea, but I've never noticed a side-effect to lots and lots of cabbage leaves).

If providing grass clippings (which they adore), make sure it's clipped reasonably short. Long grass can rarely get tangled in the crop and cause issues.