Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Homemade Flytrap

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Flytrap
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:42 am 
Wise One
Wise One

:hiya:

I have come across a couple of recipes for a homemade flytrap.

I am trialing no/ 1 and will report how effective or not it is. Could someone please trial no/2 and report back?

1.Unknown author
You need a clean, empty 2 litre milk container. Be sure to keep the cap. Cut four or five small holes all around just below where the handle ends Mix 1/4-cup syrup and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and pour into container. Fill to halfway with water and put on cap. Place a couple of these flytraps where the flies are thick. You will probably have to empty it out every other day or so. I would make new ones because I find emptying it to be pretty gross.

2.This recipe is by Jackie French
Cut a soft drink bottle off at the shoulders, so it looks like a funnel. Take off the bottle top, and invert the top into the rest of the bottle. Thread string through the top so you can hang it up.
Place in the bottom of the bottle either proprietary fly trap mix- quite cheap and very effective- or 6 prawn heads or 1 small cat fish based cat food (prawn heads are better)
1 raw egg, lightly beaten
half cup water
Hang fly trap HIGH so that the pong goes up and stays up. It will take about four hot days to be really stinky. They are best hung under eaves so they don't fill with water when it rains, though you can make a roof from another soft drink bottle-cut out the base with four attached long strips, and tape those to the other bottle, leaving a good air gap so the pong can emerge.
This is all much easier with a diagram!!!!
The trap should work for a few months; depends on how soon it fills up with flies. You should not be able to smell it at ground level. If you can, move it to a new spot. It may also need emptying if it fills with water, or a little more moisture added in very dry times. But mostly it will be trouble free.
Bryan has made a perch on either side of one of ours for the birds to get 'take away'- they sit and guzzle as the flies approach.

I cant see that it would make any difference if you decided to use the container from recipe 1 in recipe 2 or visa versa.

Last edited by idealistic on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Homemade Flytrap
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:56 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
This is all much easier with a diagram!!!!

:lol: So when you make yours up please post some pics :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:17 am 
Wise One
Wise One

The blue print in the above recipe's are direct comment from the people who posted the recipe on the internet. :thanks:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:38 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I've got pics in my gallery of the soft drink bottle type. I usually use cat food, an egg and some vegemite which is quite effective (and gross) and definitely reduced numbers. However, the store bought fly attractant is more effective.

I havent tried the syrup one but imagine it might be a bit harder to clean out?? I re use the bottle as we dont have milk bottles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:52 am 
Wise One
Wise One

:hiya:

Several hours have past and not one fly in recipe 1. So I declare that recipe to be a dud.
I have added a beaten egg to the mix to see if that helps it work. In today's heat it should get smelly pretty soon!

If you dont have a milk bottle I would think any bottle that has a handle would do.

Here are a couple of pics:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:15 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I sit mine on the ground - closer to any poo that flies might be attracted to :wink: Just outside the pen and more or less out of sight in the garden. I really don't ever see many flies here at all but do gather up poo and any feathers for the compost bins from both the night quarters and the main chook pen on a daily basis - the huge deposits of my Sussex make this fairly easy! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:12 pm 

Idealistic,

Those holes are waaaay too big!

Drill holes around 3/8 inch instead....I reckon the flies are finding their way out too easily!

B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I just purchased 2 of the store variety and they didn't catch anything the first day either. apparently they do get stinkier over time. I did have to put them closer to the brooders to get it to start catching flies.

I'm willing to bet the mollasses would work... fly's seem to love my feed soaking buckets.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:02 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I've had two of the store bought ones for over a year now and can vouch for their effectiveness. However, the aroma is like a mountain of road-kill! Horrendous.

I'm all out of the attractant for refill, and read somewhere that if you use fruitjuice with a bit of meat in it, it works just as well. I'll try that out later this week. The flies here are at plague proportions right now. Not just because of my chooks. People from other suburbs are saying the same.

I'd gladly try out your number 2 suggestion idealistic, but don't have prawnheads and begrudge using a good egg. Miser, that's me. Hope someone else tries it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:33 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

will try making holes smaller by taping them over a bit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Well even after making the holes on the bottle smaller recipe 1 does not seem to have worked. Only a couple of flies in bottle. :hmmm:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:40 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

My daughter opened a can of tinned corned meat on the weekend... It was like a fly magnet. I'm going to give it a try in the fly traps...

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:38 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

hi all, the link that was recently posted for bugs for bugs' website had a little tiny predatory wasp you could buy to release. It preys on fly's laying its eggsinside them. I have done all the fly trap things with varying results. Still got flies so i am considering giving the tiny wasps a try next.
Cheers julie