Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sin Bins

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sin Bins
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I made my first "sin bin" using 6 panels of the Bunnings garden refuse panels. I needed 2 packs (only 4 panels per pack) at about $25.00 each pack.
Lined the floor with 12.5mm sq. wire. It worked well but was difficult to move.
I put it and the hen/s in the garage at night for protection and brought it out into the garden during the day.

I've now made a smaller "sin bin" using the 6 panel pet barrier sold at the Warehouse or Go-Lo. It is on special at $25.00
I might have to line the floor even though the bars are closer together than the Bunnings one.

As I have bantams, I think the small one will suit best.

Geoff :) :)

Post subject: Re: Sin Bins
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Both of them look fantastic! I'm going to put a lin into the Husbandry Index so other can find your photos easily! Well done. :thumbs:

NellyG

PS Just wanted to add that I like the way you have raised the floor for air circulation. Very well done!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

They're excellent, and illustrate the concept of the "sin bin" very well - that it needs to have air circulating all the way round to be effective.

I've got a couple of those Bunnings "bins" and use them as barriers in various places. Never quite got around to putting them together properly. Useful though!

If it's useful, this is my large sin-bin:

It's located inside the actual chook-pen and is covered by a large "For Sale" sign for rain protection. Under trees for shade; it gets late afternoon sun but as broodies tend to occur in summer, mostly we cover the western side in an old sheet to keep it cool.

It's a permanent structure and serves a range of purposes inside the pen. When it's inhabited, I tend to feed the rest of the flock right next to it, so they remember the chooks inside it. It makes re-integration after de-brooding much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey Infoaddict.
Re-integration after de-brooding has been an ugly thing at this place.
I am hoping with the small sin bin that I may be able to hang it under the house section inside the coop. I hope for a better outcome - less bloodshed.

Geoff :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:01 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

As long as it's slightly raised off the ground and under some kind of shelter, I wouldn't worry about the hanging bit. I've also got sinbins sitting on wooden pallets - again, inside the coop - and they also work very effectively.

It's strawed-up in this shot because it's actually housing a broody and chicks. If it's de-brooding, then there's no straw and they're sitting entirely on wire-covered pallets. They de-brood pretty quickly :)

Again with this one, I feed the flock in front and if you look to the very right, you can JUST see the waterer sitting on the pallets, which serves the triple purpose of reducing junk kicked into it, reducing mould and growth underneath, and ensuring the caged and uncaged chooks see eachother a lot during the day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:45 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've made the sin bins with the floors starting up about 100mm from the bottom of the sides, front and back. This means that it can be stood on the ground or table top or whatever and the hen will off the ground.
Just to further explain the hanging up.
If I hang the bin in my smallish coop I'm hoping that the other hens will still have full access to all the ground area. And if I can manage it the sin bin might hang with the existing feeder on one side and waterer on the other thus giving access for all the hens.

Geoff :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Heres the one I just built. The milk containers on the door are for water and food. At least one of my three bantam wyandottes is broody at any one time. I have been able to break them most of the time by just turfing them off the nest and locking them outside for a few hours, but one has been broody for weeks, so its time for prison :D

I put legs on it after Nelly G's comments about getting air underneath. It will sit outside in the shade somewhere during the day and then in the garage at night. Needless to say chookie was very unhappy to be locked up in it tonight. I feel like a battery hen farmer :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:50 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

CackleberrySA wrote:
I feel like a battery hen farmer :(

:lol: :lol:

It looks pretty good and should do the trick! :thumbs:

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:44 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Battery hens dont even get that much room!

That is one stylish "sin bin".

I am yet to make one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:45 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It's ok. Remember this - broodies don't actually move a lot anyway and chooks feel secure in small, warm, dark, enclosed areas. If it were a broody box and you put eggs under her, she'd actually be a very happy little chook in that setup.

She's unhappy because you've removed her from her nest, not because she's locked in a small area. This is a classic example of "cruel to be kind".

I released my five from the sinbin this morning AND added four newbies who have been on the other side of a fence. I'm sort of hoping all the confusion will reduce the fighting for the newbies :) (they used to live in this flock, moved to another about 6 months ago, and I needed them back in. Musical chooks!).