Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New brooder (with pics)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New brooder (with pics)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:35 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Here are some photos of the brooder we recently made. It was made out 1000L ‘pod’ (that’s what I call them) which we cut in half. We picked it up for free. We put wheels on one end and handle the other for easier manoeuvring. There are two lids, one with mesh that can be propped up to get in there and a solid lid that we put down at night but it doesn’t sit flush on the other so that there is some airflow. The top lid also has three options of how open it is. It is quite easy to clean as there is a tap down the bottom at one end, so you can hose, disinfectant and let it drain out. I had 2 batches of chicks go through it and no problems as of yet. It is kept outside and we have had no problems with snakes yet, it has kept out a 2 year old toddler, a dog and feral cat.

Image[/url]

Last edited by learnerchook on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

cackles asked me to remove your second post, but it reads OK. Do you want me to take it out for you?

Nels

Last edited by learnerchook on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm 
I think that looks fantastic. Like something out of Star Wars, but very functional.
Does the mesh lid sit flush and the other lid hover above? If so, what a fantastic way of getting airflow without letting in snakes.
Great work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:58 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Wow! :shock: That is fantastic! Well done on ingenuity and ond on skill!

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thats a serious brooder!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

That has to be one of the best DIY brooders that I have ever seen, in my few months of chook research... :oops: but awesome job.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I just noticed you have a poziwarmer (or whatever they are calleld) in there. I have one too. How do you find yours?

NellyG

PS - putting a link to this thread in the Index as the idea is excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:36 am 
This is a very smart design. Truly inspiring.

Emma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I'm so impressed - that is brilliant. :claps:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

NellyG wrote:
I just noticed you have a poziwarmer (or whatever they are calleld) in there. I have one too. How do you find yours?

NellyG

I call it the 'hotplate'. I've had no problems with it. The chicks seem to use it.
At the moment it is turned off during the day (42 degrees still at 7:30 at night) and they camp on top of it. At night it is on the lowest setting and they seem to use it just before daylight when it is cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 am 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Looks fantastic! Well done. :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:07 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

How the blazes do you pick up one of them for FREE??? We'd give ALL our hen's teeth for just one out here!! (Apart from buying one, of course, which is the reliable way :) ).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

nice work learnerchook,

Have you had any curled or rotated toe problems, or splayed leg problems, with the chicks running on newspaper?.

With the 2 batches you've had so far, how old were they when they were taken out of the brooder?.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Haan wrote:
nice work learnerchook,

Have you had any curled or rotated toe problems, or splayed leg problems, with the chicks running on newspaper?.

With the 2 batches you've had so far, how old were they when they were taken out of the brooder?.

I haven't had any feet or toe problems. I have read other people use rice hulls, sawdust and wood shavings but I’m unable to source any of those. I was thinking maybe shredded paper but thought the chicks might get caught up in it.

When the chicks are about three to four weeks I take the them out during the day and they go into a small cage on the grass under a shady tree. Then go back in the brooder at night. This happens for a couple of weeks and then they're moved into larger pens. It seems a little earlier than others that I've read about, but they don't seem any worse the wear for it.
I'm yet to use the brooder in the cooler months, so I might have to rethink a new routine. :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We are using shredded newspaper at the moment and the chicks don't get tangled in it at all. They seem to squish it down quite quickly into more of a rug of newspaper.