Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - help there is goanna trying to eat my chooks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

i need help, there is a goanna trying to eat my chooks and quails, it can't get to them but i can't even go out side, it is near the house.

any ideas to get it to go away?

(sorry if i my spelling is bad)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The Goanna is probably only after eggs they love them, try making alot of noise and wave your arms around or broom or something like that should scare it away for awhile , but it will be back so you will need to goanna proof your chooks till he finds somewhere else to get an easy meal.
Marto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:14 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Youri, i think i remeber you posting about your muscovy eggs disappearing from under the broody duck last week or there abouts :?: perhaps this what that problem was if you had not worked that mistery out as yet :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

he lift.
and when he was just about gone i did that he went up a tree, my pens are good but he skares them, and we usually let the chooks out in the afternoon.

he was trying to get the quails, nice meal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:18 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

koknco wrote:
Youri, i think i remeber you posting about your muscovy eggs disappearing from under the broody duck last week or there abouts :?: perhaps this what that problem was if you had not worked that mistery out as yet :thumbs:

yes i think that is it, only thing he did not know how to get over a 3ft fence and the duck had a 3ft fence, she is safe now but the other duck is about to go broody.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Be careful, Youri. I had a goanna that fitted through a hole in chicken wire kill a young standard size New Hampshire cockerel. They're the chook keeper's worst enemy because apart from getting addicted to eggs (and being incredibly sneaky so you rarely even find out what's taking eggs) they teach the chooks to break eggs and eat contents, so you end up with hopeless egg-eaters.

The only way to stop goannas is to have an electric wire. Or have a fully enclosed and roofed pen (not bird netting but wire mesh, thick wire, not bird mesh). A 10 foot high fence is nothing to them.

Catching and relocating is only useful if they're not common in your area. But it's worth a try. They're very wily, but if you trap one in the pen, you may be able to herd it into a smaller cage using a couple of rakes and get a parent to drive it somewhere over 5km away. Just don't let a scared goanna use you as a tree!

Tractors are another possible way of deterring goannas. A movable house tends to confuse them.

That's all I know, but I learned it all after a long war with the beautiful but irritating things! :lol: Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

koknco wrote:

well your right :cry:
i went to check on my broody duck because one had piped last time i checked, and on the way i thought i would check on the other nest where the other duck had just gone broody on 7 eggs, it is long grass and when i got about 1m from the nest i saw the goanna eating the eggs :x :swords: :swords:
i slowly walked away and called my mum,.

she had 7 eggs and the goanna has eatton 6 :cry:

i did not end up checking the broody but i think she is fine.

regards youri.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Our guinea fowl scare away any that make it as far as the pens. Any that come in are hungry so to deter them in the first place we put all the leftover unhatched eggs and unsetable eggs in a pile far away from the chook pens, over the creek. The goannas are happy to eat them and keep away from us - we only seem to have an influx at the beginning of spring when they wake up and are hungry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh pleeeease.
We have at least 6 resident goannas here, the largest is around 7' including tail. When I say resident, on a hot day we'll see them wandering around the front yard most of the afternoon, they even have occasional "fights". My chickens free range all the time from 8 weeks. The goannas will only chase the smaller chooks up here. If you ever see a goanna and a scrub turkey, you'll see why. They hate each other. Scrub turkeys will chase a goanna away every time. I have my nesting box set up so that the goannas would have a hard time getting in there. With the scent of free ranging ducks and chickens, they never seem to find the eggs.
Where you live Youri, you will never get rid of goannas or snakes, you just have to adapt to having them around. Make sure your free rangers have room to get away from the goannas. Make sure your eggs are somewhere secure. Lock your birds away at night.
And enjoy having such beautiful native animals around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Craig, I agree they are just wonderful creatures.
We are in an old area with state park and creek running through our place. The trees are numerous, very old and big. We have generations of goannas here and they can be a problem, but we have overcome many of these problems.
Our neighbours have shot them in the past, we encourage them to stay.
One very large old "man" not afraid of us, last year tore open the internal cages to eat just one young bird about 2 to 3 times a week. We didn't know it was him but when the truth of where these chicks were going was exposed, the cages were reinforced in the lower foot of the cage doors and ever since we leave out 6 to 10 eggs and when these go we replace them. Cheaper than losing young birds.
We have trouble from Christmas until the autumn. Their tracks go up the drive, from tree to tree, from pen to pen, to shed to shed but they cannot enter the bigger pens/yards. They will climb the 6 foot chain cyclone, but when you fluster them they panic and cannot do it, so leave them alone until they leave eventually, then correct the problem.
They are so prehistoric; they are beautiful; they eat the egg born snakes;they reduce the numbers of young snakes and eat carrion. What else could you want in a non man eating animal.
We encourage them to stay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well, you're welcome to mine as well. :lol:
I hate them (though also appreciate their beauty) and find them harder to deal with than foxes. But then the property where I had all the problems was surrounded by rainforest and very very rich in wildlife; where you guys have a couple, by the sounds of things, I had about twenty large lace monitors, all after eggs. The one that killed a cockerel probably did so because it got in but couldn't get out again.
Twenty times ten equals 200 eggs... :lol:
Electric wire or tractors, both work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Candler, we have them from small young ones, to very large oldies.
They inhabit the state park and visit our place daily
There are many, too many to take a guess at numbers.
There are just a few of them that have found the taking of young poultry or eggs is an easy feed and these are generally the older ones. They deserve to live here as much as we do. This farm has been occupied for 175 years or so, so I believe they were here first.
They are only about in the warmer weather. The state park usually has enough to feed them I am sure, but the many years of drought has had a toll on their food items as well.
We have very few snakes here so the goanna must be working, so they can stay as long as they like

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Really? I had many different species of snakes, most common being Clarence river snake, very deadly.
Didn't seem to mind being surrounded by lace monitors. I doubt the lizards make much of a dent in snake populations, personally.
Also had many many pythons. Again, no lizard dent on those populations.
I'm glad you're so happy to be feeding and breeding goannas; I'd rather discourage them from becoming addicted to poultry pens and human dwellings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Every one to their own!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

We have heaps of goannas around here and with the exeption of the carpet snake that likes in the dairy (best rat trap there is) I havent seen a snake since they were supposed to come out of hibernation. I'm sure they're out and about just that I havent seen them.