Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is this muesli OK to give to the chickens?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi, just wondering if our chickens can enjoy some of the muesli we've got in the pantry - ingredients are:
Rolled Oats, Nuts 10% (Almonds, Hazelnuts, Pecans), Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Honey, Canola Oil, Cinnamon.

I don't know much about feeding nuts and cinnamon to chickens.

Also, are these dried fruits OK to give to them: Sultanas, Raisins, Diced Apricots?

Thanks,
Tracy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I would give them the muesli. They will probably love it. The nuts will be fine, and a good source of protein (if they are in small enough bits for the chooks to eat). If the nuts are too big maybe whack it all in the food processor for few seconds or put it in a bag and bash it with a rolling pin or something.

Re. the dried fruit......Some people will say no to the sultanas/raisins because a lot of people believe that grapes can make chooks sick. I do not know the extent of the facts versus the myths behind this, but if grapes do affect chooks then mine are exempt because they steal grapes off the grapevine every chance they get! Besides, drying fruit changes its composition (I have a friend who would drop dead from a fresh apricot but can eat dried or cooked no problem). Diced apricots should be totally fine for chickens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I've fed my chooks leftover muesli before and no-one's died to this point. I find chooks are very handy for cleaning out cupboards :)

I'm now hoping that dried white beans are going to be an ok addition to a chook's diet, if broken up!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Great - they'll have some for dinner tonight then - I will put the whole thing through the food processor and make them a mash

70%cocoa wrote:
......Some people will say no to the sultanas/raisins because a lot of people believe that grapes can make chooks sick. I do not know the extent of the facts versus the myths behind this, but if grapes do affect chooks then mine are exempt because they steal grapes off the grapevine every chance they get! Besides, drying fruit changes its composition (I have a friend who would drop dead from a fresh apricot but can eat dried or cooked no problem). Diced apricots should be totally fine for chickens.

I know they don't like fresh grapes, they wouldn't touch my diced up grapes - but I gave it to them before I ever read about grapes making them sick - so I guess I won't give them sultanas and raisins.

infoaddict wrote:
I'm now hoping that dried white beans are going to be an ok addition to a chook's diet, if broken up!! :)

That's a good idea, I have beans that dried up on the plant prior to the recent rain that we got, I'll see if they give it a go? Are all beans/ peas OK to give to them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:48 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mine will kill for grapes,

Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

rotten_66 wrote:
Mine will kill for grapes,

Ron

me and mine too after being raised in the dried fruit area of robinvale i miss the straight off the vine variety
and yes fruit and nuts are alright along with museli(terrible stuff )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

70%cocoa wrote:
(I have a friend who would drop dead from a fresh apricot but can eat dried or cooked no problem).

Might be due to the fact , you should NEVER eat apricot seeds . Full of prusic acid and deadly .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ours love muesli. They've only had it a couple of times - we've had dreadful problems with weevils this year and most of a bag of muesli got to the stage where even my husband wouldn't contemplate it. The chooks thought it was wonderful. All that extra protein went down a treat and they didn't even complain about the dried fruit!

Cheers

Nic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Top feed for younger chooks, lacks a little protein for layers. I once had a good friend bringing me half cooked muesli biscuits in 44 gallon drums and my growers would eat it till their crop stuck out that far they looked deformed :shock:

Those growers would have given Christain's a run for the fattest birds in OZ.

Incidentally, today i actually scored a whole pallet of what can only be described "horse Muesli" which was rolled oats, rolled corn, rolled lupins, and whole sunflower. The lot coated in molasses and minerals and salts added.

Had a pen of deformed/crop stuck out looking pullets when i trial feed some out today. They certainly enjoy the change.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:59 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I've been contemplating some of the horse mixtures for our chook feed or supplement - there really doesn't seem to be much difference in content, except lots more molasses. It would depend on which was cheaper though!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Quote:
Might be due to the fact , you should NEVER eat apricot seeds . Full of prusic acid and deadly .

Really ? I did not know that. Hey Marty how many do you think a G/F might need to eat . . . say if they were crushed up and feed to do the job ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Micki wrote:
Incidentally, today i actually scored a whole pallet of what can only be described "horse Muesli" which was rolled oats, rolled corn, rolled lupins, and whole sunflower. The lot coated in molasses and minerals and salts added.

Had a pen of deformed/crop stuck out looking pullets when i trial feed some out today. They certainly enjoy the change.

Interesting, I think I can make this up with pantry stuff - oats, cornflakes, other health food items that the husband refuses to eat?

Incidentally, he bought the muesli for the chooks, said he would eat it if the chickens wouldn't.....something's in reverse here but I'm not sure what. Aren't they supposed to eat the stuff we don't want? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:30 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Just reading posts above, apparently dried beans ( ie uncooked) should never be given to poultry! (Or humans for that matter), hope yours survived ;) !