Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Randy brush turkeys

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Randy brush turkeys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is an update on a post I wrote a month or so ago in which I wondered why some brush turkeys were harrassing my chooks. Now I know and can confirm that yes indeed, brush turkeys will mate with chooks. My poor girls have found themselves to be the reluctant sex objects of at least 3 male turkeys who rape them as often as possible. We now have hoses left at stategic places so that when the chooks let off their alarm cries we can let fly at the turkeys. The turkeys have made 3 mounds so far, one with the straw in the chook pen, one with the sawdust in their little house and one that is in progress in the garden made out of leaf litter. The turkey breeding season was supposed to stop in January but the ones here dont seem to know that and are hard at work trying to procreate with my poor chooks. If anyone from Ocean Shores knows of a turkey trapper and removalist in the Byron Shire I'd be keen to know. :thumbs:

Post subject: Re: Randy brush turkeys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:42 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I have the same problem, luckily its only the one turkey, if they haven't got the well developed hanging red and yellow wattles, they are the same as mine, young males. They can badly damage your chooks, I have one with a badly ripped thigh at the moment, either caused by the goanna hanging around or more likely the turkey.

We have always had turkeys about the place but usually the roosters keep them at bay. My last fella died a couple of weeks ago so will be going to Bangalow poultry auction this sunday to pick one up. Could be an option for you, sounds like you are only down the road.

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi John, I have thought about the effect a rooster would have on the turkeys but we live in suburbia and the rooster could have a negative effect on the neighbours. The turkeys here are mature males with big floppy yellow collars and they leave my chooks with bleeding combs. Tonight before I locked the girls in, a turkey was in with them trying to grab my Sussex who happened to be on the lowest perch. These turkeys must also be colourblind as they are not fussed as to whether they get an Australorp, an Isa or a Sussex!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok this may sound a little crazy.........

Try placing a mirror in an area away from the chooks but not too far away from the mounds and move it around every day or two.

The turkey will think it's another male and will keep its self busy chasing the reflection of itself away and will hopefully give the poor chooks a break.

Wildlife removers have 'traps' which are basically a big cage with a trap door and a mirror.

I've seen the dopey randy buggers run full speed into the trap, crashing into the mirror and of course getting locked in ready for removal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Investigating had quite a bit of experience with Bush Turkeys.
Accoding to what I've read on line their breeding season is approx February to September.
Their destruction of our garden supports this timing. It's worth researching them then taking your own steps to try moving them on. You need to constantly remove the Dominant Male as he is the Mound builder, often he has younger males that are part of his flock, the females are transifor incubating eggsent, travelling between Males & their mounds laying up to 120 eggs per season. They need 90% shade to ensure the correct temperature & humidity for incubating eggs.
You can destroy the Mound & the eggs but chances are within a few hours he will be rebuilding it. We found a harmless platform trap with a mirror was best, they are territoral & easy to trap. You must move them more than 5 kms away or they come back. Then go home & reset the trap, usually takes a few weeks for the next one to become Dominant & take his place.
Our neighbor told us in the Depression they were shot for food so became reclusive.
Someone else told us to cook them you add the turkey & a large rock to the pot, when the rock is soft you throw the turkey away & eat the rock!!
:aaah!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:woot: Should have mentioned Bush Turkeys are protected in Qld, not sure about other states. I have read that it can cost a $1000 to rid yourself of Bush Turkeys via a licensed Turkey Trapper. There are quite a few in Brisbane & here on the Sunshine Coast.
You can buy very good quality Turkey Traps from a manufacturer at Coomera, approx $300 but they won't get out of his traps. We bought ours from Goodna Produce out near Ipswich, it was approx $160. Works very well unless the dog jumps on top & tips it over allowing the door to open.
Only takes about 30mins for a curious male turkey to enter the trap once he sees himself in the mirror.