Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My new chicken coop/house design - pics!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I'm so proud to have accomplished this, mostly by myself. Hubby helped me with some screws and the door and floor this arvo to get it done. I was stripping screws too often!!

It began as a $65 air con cover from Mitre 10. This photo shows what it is supposed to look like to go over the air con. I've painted it and put the front to the back.

This shows the loovers.

I've screwed/nailed a thin piece of ply to give warmth and protection from wind.

This is inside with the perch in place. The floor was leftover from a rabbit hutch (it has a ramp down from it). There are also slats with spaces on top (roof) to allow air in.

All ready for bed! A blue silkie rooster, Sarge, & 6 silkie x pekin chickens. Sarge may not fit through the hole to get out tomorrow morning but we'll wait and see. It's meant for chickens and maybe some small pekins.

All closed up for the night... made the door from thin ply across the whole area for easy access to the whole coop.

I am fully satisfied with the end product. Need the second coat of paint on the front door (outside) and needs to be up a little higher for better access to the ramp. Waiting to see how long it takes for the chickens to 'catch on' to their new abode.

:thanks: for looking and sharing your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Wuvzoo,

You go girl! :thumbs:

Damn well excellent and it already looks like the chooks have caught on :claps:

Victoria

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

You go girl :thumbs: Great job and good use of your imagination. I'm starting my first coop this week with a little help. I'm using a wooden climbing frame as the starting point. I hope my chooks end up looking as comfortable as yours.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks!!

Would love to see photos when you're through... chookmother/dogwoman

Well, I didn't wait to see whether they'd find their own way out this morning. I opened the door and lifted Sarge out and the chickens all flew down. They were nice and toasty. Don't chooks poop heaps!! Well and truly christened now :lol:

I have two more of the air con covers that I plan to put together so I have a larger space for the 'rooster pen' I have. That one is on the 'to do' list. They're a real pain to paint, but by the end, I'll have mastered the technique. Hubby handed me a spray can the other day, but I pointed out they aren't cheap and it was the wrong color! Nice of him to help me out, though.

Edited for spelling mistakes!