Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Do pekins always fill their crop?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi, I've had a few sick pekin chickens over the last few weeks. Luckily they have all come good. I was force feeding a couple because their crops seemed empty after being locked up in sick bay ( a dog box) all day. I couldn't seem to tempt them to eat with treats, like corn or mince etc. However when I let them out after a few days in sick bab, and after been wormed (yet again) they seemed happy again and commenced to look around for food. Going to bed they had something in their crops but it wasn't like a goft ball or anything.

My question is, do all chickens have a full crop at the end of the day, every day? or are some just small eaters? :hmmm:

NB I'm currently using the blue bag of red hen chicken feed.

Appreciate your help,

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

my pekins don't always have full crops at night despite free access to plenty of food, if that is any help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:03 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Debbie,

Most of mine have golf balls for crops when they go to bed but one is a very fussy eater. She sometimes does and other times there is only a little in her crop.

She is much smaller than the rest and I would say this is the reason. I do find this one eats better if I put her in the food bowl and lift it up so she is eating on her own with just me talking to her.

If she stops eating and just picks at it I put another one in the bowl with her and then the competion for food starts and she eats again. She goes through waves of eating normally and then days of not eating much at all and the key is just to keep the food into her so she keeps weight on.

She is hard work and I think it is because she is a bit of a runt and not as health as my another little ones who eat until they look like their crops are going to burst.

Eating well is a sign of a very healthy bird and with Pekins you need to watch them all the time. Do you make them a mash? I believe this is the key to keeping mine healthy as they love it and eat much more of the mash than they do of the scratch mix. Mine will not eat layer pellets, they would starve first. I add warm water to the pellets so they are easy to mash in with rice, grated apple or frozen corns, honey, cat food and any other left overs I might have. It changes abit sometimes they get spinich or tomotoes. I also make sure they get greens and fresh corn on the cob is a real hit. Just be careful that their main food is a commerical food and the mash contains this as they will get fussy and only want the good stuff. Just with kids and lollies.

Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:13 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I have been giving them a mash since I've had a few sick chooks. But its hard work given I'm struggling to get dinner on the table for my 3 little ones.

Looks like I will need to keep it up though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:08 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Debbie feed the mash in the morning sometime. Then check they are all very full, if not feed the one that is not on its own. Then just the normal at night. I find if they get one good feed a day then they continue to do well even if they are not totally full at night. If the crop is totally empty at night then you have a problem.

This might work better with your kids dinner etc. I work so in winter it is too late to give them a mash at night as they go to bed early compare to my layers so the morning still seems to work.

Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/