Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - has anyone used these waterer / feeders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi, came across these - has anyone else tried these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chicken-Poultry- ... 3a5bb1f2dd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

ChookWhisperer has those. I'm sure she'll be along at some point & be able to give you some feedback on them.

I'll PM her to let her know that her services are required. :addicted:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes we have them and they are great never had any thing go wrong cheers John & Shellie :woot: :woot: :woot:

Edited to remove all capitals. Please refrain from using the Cap Lock as posting all in capitals is equivalent to shouting. NellyG (Mod)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I've seen them on Ebay and I think they look great. They are definitely on the list of things I want to try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:18 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I bought ours from Royal Rooster for $70 plus postage from Adelaide two weeks ago and they have been pretty good. I am still monitoring feed wastage compared to other feeders but think it will be far less waste than the bell shaped feeders. . I like the waterer but you need to keep a closer eye on it than the bell shaped plastic ones for 'blockages' from the run bedding if it is placed near pine shavings, rice hulls etc the birds tend to kick these in and stop the valve working. Very easy to run your finger around the inside and clear it though. They also cannot be kicked over and take up way less space in the coop. I think they are a good buy overall and would not buy the standard plastic feeders or waterers ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:03 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've just made my own version of these...cheap as chips using plumbing pipe and end caps from the hardware shop, plus the nipple drinker from an on-line place. I think the feeder plus two drinkers (I used one nipple drinker and one with the little cup under the nipple) cost me around $15 total (plumbing pipe, end caps, two nipples, silicon sealant, and a few scraps of metal to make hooks to hang them).

I'll post some pictures up when I get home.

The trick to stop the drinker getting blocked is to place it high enough that the chooks have to stretch to reach it. Makes it a lot harder for dirt and bedding to end up in the cup. The chooks took only a few days to get the hang of the drinkers and I have had no wastage from the feeder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hey Cackleberry,

That sounds very interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pics, especially as I'm a newbie and I can't imagine a chook drinking from a nipple...............

However, I have faith.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:59 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

G'day CackleberrySA & others, what did you use for the base of the feeder. I didn't recognise it in the photos. thanks mark c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Okedoke, heres the feeder. You can make the pipe section as long or short as you like (mine is quite short as I only have 3 bantams and they live on fresh air apparently). Cut a small rectangle out of one end (about 3cm wide and 2cm high). Place this end into the cut-off bottom of a 4L milk container and pop rivet the container to the PVC pipe. Buy (or make) a small metal hook so you can hang the feeder and bolt it on near the top. Fill with feed, place the end cap on and hang. I found that you need to make the sides of the milk container quite high (at least twice as high as the height of the rectangle you cut out of the bottom of the PVC pipe) and then hang the feeder high enough that the chooks need to reach a little to get into the tray. This will help stop them spraying food everywhere.

Front view of feeder

Side view of feeder

I made two waterers. One has the 4005 Layer Nipple which I bought online (the online retailer's website states that I cant reproduce any of their website, so you will have to google "4005 layer nipple") and the other has the 4009 Snap cup assembly with 4005 nipple. The chooks took only a few days to learn how to use them and use both with equal frequency. They are easy to make. Get a section of PVC pipe and two end caps. Drill a hole in one end cap (in the middle for the nipple waterer and close to the edge for the snap cup assembly waterer...the instructions that come with the nipples tell you what sized hole to drill). Screw the nipple/snap cup into the holes. It should be a tight fit to prevent leakage. Run a small amount of silicon sealant around the lip of the end cap and push the PVC pipe on. Drill a small hole near the other end of the PVC pipe (allows air into the pipe so you dont get negative pressure), bolt a hook to the side so you can hang the waterer, leave to dry for 24hrs to let the silicon set, fill with water, put the other end cap on and hang. Again you need to hand the nipple version high enough so the chooks have to reach up to get it. They press the nipple in and water dribbles out so they can drink. The Snap cup assembly one can be mounted a little lower, as the chooks need to get their beaks in to depress the white tongue which gets the water flowing.

side view of nipple drinker

underneath view of nipple drinker

side view of Snap cup drinker

side view of Snap cup drinker