Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is there a rooster refuge/farm ?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We need to get rid of our roosters as one is starting to peck our children and they are scared of it. I love my chickens and don't want them to put to sleep or eaten and would prefer if they could go to a nice farm instead. Does anyone know anyone who takes roosters? The rooster lets me pick him up and falls asleep in my arms and is actually quite spoilt but is becoming aggressive towards the children which is a worry as I don't want him hurting them or their friends.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 am 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Sorry but unless he is show stock I dont like your chances.

Most people who keep chickens on their farm would eat their excess roosters.

Unfortunately it is just a sad fact of life for many roosters that they end up being dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:56 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Some roosters are just naturally protective of their flock and therefore aggressive. They are a pain and they can be quite dangerous if they fly at you unexpectedly. A bantam rooster can do just as much damage asa large rooster so its not a size issue.

I personally dont have time for them and they dont stay at my place. I simply work on the principle that if its going to go wrong it will go wrong at the wrong time with the wrong person. So I totally agree with you on the need to get rid of it.

I am also aware that unless it has some value as breeding stock then it will be very difficult to rehome particularly as its aggressive. I am not so sure that humanising a rooster by cuddling it etc is such a good idea. It dimishes the fear of humans and allows a rooster that already has aggressive tendencies (even if they are latent) to have no hesitation in attacking humans.

My grandfather used always say to never totally turn your back on any animal that has testicles. I always make sure that all our male stock - rams, roosters and bulls (when we have had them) are kept at arms length and treated with respect.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:36 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Mike wrote:
My grandfather used always say to never totally turn your back on any animal that has testicles. I always make sure that all our male stock - rams, roosters and bulls (when we have had them) are kept at arms length and treated with respect.

Mike

I like your Grandfathers' quote Mike :rofl: The first Rooster I had was one that would ALWAYS attack if you had your back turned (you seriously needed eyes in the back of your head!). You would be happily walking along and the next thing you knew he was attacking the back of your legs :shock: I was slightly relieved when he departed from the world.

I don't think aggressive Roosters are something you can tame.

Edited to correct quote NellyG (Mod)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:49 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

swoffa, the problem is that unless roosters have grown up together, they cannot be housed together after they mature. Their nature is to attack other roosters, to crow to assert dominance, and to find their own territory. They're not a lot of fun, they can be aggressive, and you'd need an enormous amount of space and yards to individually house them. Their only advantage is that they're pretty.

Unless they've got hens with them, they'll just get sad and depressed, and the noise would eventually drive you insane.

I've suddenly got a pen of big black Australorp cockerels - 20 of them - which were being fattened for eating on another property. Timing intervened, and I offered to take the lot at once. Now, they've all grown up together but there's no way I could permanently house them in anything under half an acre or so; they're already starting to fight and the noise ... luckily we don't have neighbours but the people across the road (about 5km as the crow flies, house to house) said they've noticed an increase in the distant crowing!!

They're being dispatched this weekend. They're extremely handsome but there's nothing I can do with them. I can't even keep one because I've got this year's rooster roster worked out and Australorps don't feature on it. (Pity ... they are VERY good-looking, and I do actually have Australorps).

And these are pure-bred, quite good quality Australorps. I didn't even bother advertising the extremely pretty, friendly, crossbred cockerels for sale. If anyone's going to eat them, it'll be me ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

You might be able to find somewhere that will take him permanently if you are prepared to pay ongoing costs.
It seems unreasonable to expect someone to take on an animal that is of no use, and have to bear the costs for the same.
The Bundoora petting farm had heaps of roosters running around, mostly Silkies, and I wouldn't mind betting they too are rejects, but I think that they would be put down as soon as they show any aggression.

My advice, if you don't want them to die, is that you advertise them to a good home for free, or you build an enclosure for them where the kids can't be attacked by them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Not sure what happened to my reply so I am trying again. Thanks for all your responses. It is a very sad decision but I think the roosters will need to be put to sleep. I would rather that than them being eaten as they are much loved pets. I spoke to the RSPCA and they can do this if we don't find a farm willing to take them. Apparently the RSPCA are lobying against the school hatching programs because this is the end result for most roosters. I can understand their concern and now share it too. However, what are you supposed to do? Your children's welfare must be priority. Having said that the rooster was as good as gold today didn't bother anyone but we can't take that chance though. Anyway, thanks for your help. (hope my post works this time).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I was not aware that the RSPCA are against school hatching programs. I do it at school with high school aged students but then I have an interest in poultry so it is possibly differerent from an infant teacher who hatches them (though am sure there are plenty of responsible infant/primary teachers who do a great job too). I have come across and heard from others though there has been the odd infant/primary teacher who has done it but does not have a great deal of knowledge and this has caused issues. MY experience with high school is only teachers who have an avid interest will bother doing it in the first place.

Thought I would let you know I understand how you feel. I dont eat birds I know personally. I have rarely had any trouble getting people to take roos. Did a hatching at school where we ended up with five boys but they were show quality as well so that helped t pass them on. The longest I had a roo I didnt really need was 12months and a lady on a farm took him. Few months later she asked if I minded if she gave him to someone else as he was too aggressive with her children...no that is fine at least someone is willing to give a home.

Put an add on the noticeboard here to give away but not for pot. Also try your local flea market section in paper whihc is often free to advertise.

Anyone have salmon faverolles??....I have been told the roos are docile...am going to incubate some later in the year.

You dont say where you are either. Here in Tas an animal activist who has an animal sanctuary will take some if unable to home.

all the best with them

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:32 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

MichelleO wrote:
Anyone have salmon faverolles??....I have been told the roos are docile...am going to incubate some later in the year.

I recently acquired a salmon faverolles rooster in a round about way but he was bred by jocler I think. He is my second rooster unfortunately my other rooster (australorp x) died before maturity.

He is very docile. He wont willingly approach us but at the same time when he goes to roost he is quite happy for me to pick him up and put him in the night box. It took him a bit longer than the other to assert himself with the ladies but he now has everything under control.

The other thing I have found with him is that he is a bit of a lazy crower. I am unlikely to hear from him before 9am and after this only a few times through the day. This has made me a bit lazy on really cold winter evenings as I tended not to bother going out to nightbox him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

swoffa17 wrote:
We need to get rid of our roosters as one is starting to peck our children and they are scared of it. I love my chickens and don't want them to put to sleep or eaten and would prefer if they could go to a nice farm instead. Does anyone know anyone who takes roosters? The rooster lets me pick him up and falls asleep in my arms and is actually quite spoilt but is becoming aggressive towards the children which is a worry as I don't want him hurting them or their friends.

Sorry but I'm afraid it's called a freezer. This is the part of being a "city farmer" that most people find repulsive or just unacceptable.

Not all roosters can go live on a farm just the same as not all dogs or cats that ran away actually run away.

Ron (Any that show aggression here, I have three kids under 10, ends up on a plate eventually.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

it may be too late - but my local feed store often has young roosters "free to a good home", they seem to go. also, children's farms may take them, there is one in melbourne that will take them if you pay about $10.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Swoffa where are you located? I or a friend might have room...

Catherine (in SA)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:38 am 

It's not the best idear to send a nasty rooster to a kids animal farm :rofl: But on the other hand it would soon sort out the kids that like to anoy the animals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:00 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

henrietta wrote:
it may be too late - but my local feed store often has young roosters "free to a good home", they seem to go. also, children's farms may take them, there is one in melbourne that will take them if you pay about $10.

I wonder which one that is, is it south east? I took some roo's to one and paid them about $40 to take 4 roos, but I was told if they became aggressive they would most likely get the chop and also if they got too many come in, the chop could still happen. I had not a lot of choice at the time, but I hope they made it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I live in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne.Thanks for your offer but we live in the wrong state to each other. I have been given the names of 2 farms that might take then I will call them on Monday. Sorry totally can't accept that roosters should be for the plate. I am born and bred city girl and have not been brought up on a farm so can't get my mind around the fact that pets end up eaten.

The RSPCA are contacting Manningham area but have not gone to our schools yet (Maroondah). I would like to get some info from them to give to my school and kinder. I think the teachers intentions are good, but they need to make parents aware that councils in our area do not allow you to keep roosters for a start, and then give options for what to do with them. If I was made aware of this I would have just bought hens from a shop in the first place.

I know what I will do if I ever win lotto - lost boys home / refuge for unwanted animals.