Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg eating problem...help!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I've got 2 pens of chickens that in the past few weeks have decided to start egg eating, It may have started due to a slight diet change with a different scratch mix but they are now back on the same food as before, they have plenty of shell grit. I have even tried filling an egg with Mustard & Chilli but they are still eating eggs. As these pens are my show pens I really would like to sort the problem asap so I can start putting the eggs in the incubator. :thanks:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

heres what i would do k your situation

close off their places where they have been eating the eggs or to the places/nests away for a couple of days

add decoy eggs

feed high protein

let them out for a little free range for a little bit becuase when chickens are confined in smaller places or get bored they will something else to do

remove your sure to be egg eaters away from your other hens isolate them

trim your guily hens upper beak with any pet clipper not too far but enough to dull it for harder chances of her cracking an egg

relocate her in a new place for a couple of days so she gets a time out

give her some shells/ eggshell hardener if the hens are laying soft or unusual textured eggs they tend to pick at it.

if this dont work then you can always and i dont suggest it change their whole intire diet to a meat this protein will make eggs harder and their functions slower maybe they will start laying better eggs and want less from thier eggs themselves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi
I had the same problem with my silver laced Wyandottes, tried separating and special box. Last thing I did was extra shellgrit in a bowl and they ate the whole bowl and all eggs appeared the next day, simple and I thought I was using it but it was something else. No problems now, most people say they do it for either boredom or lacking in something.

Good luck
Cass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

At the moment, i've observed all the hens in the cages eating eggs the roosters both don't participate. I have plastic eggs already in there but they just ignore them. Both cages get to free range each day in runs that are 15m x 15m with only 5 hens & 1 Rooster in each area.
I can try beak trimming will it grow back?
:thanks:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

A common reason why the chilli method fails to deter egg eating is that you've not used enough chilli.

To make the chilli method work, you need the hottest chilli sauce you can get (like Tabasco), get a syringe and suck about 5 to 10 ml of yolk out of the egg and replace it with chilli. Do this for a few days to make sure the idea that eggs are horrible to eat gets well imprinted on the chook.

Also make sure that your nests are well padded so that no accidental breakages happen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

only trim the top part of the beak and it will grow back, but it takes time. We trim our chickens beaks about once a year ( every spring) at the same time that we trim a wing ( so the chooks cant fly away) it is a very effective way to stop egg eating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:01 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

If it is a real problem and nothing barr trimming beaks (I dont beleive beak trimming works) works perhaps you could install roll away laying boxes. Dont hold me to it but I think there is a sticky or post somewhere on here on how to make roll away laying boxes.

I would try increasing their protein and vitamin intake first by supplying regular bandsaw dust and some bird vitamins. Or you could give a mash similar to the rickets diet mash with meat meal or bandsaw dust and a crushed multivitamin in it a couple of times a week for a few weeks and then reduce it to once a week on top of their normal feed that should be provided adlib.

I am suspecting that the chickens may only be eating their favourite grains out of the scratch mix you are providing and that may be causing a nutrient deficiency which they are addressing by eating eggs. Perhaps look at a laying pellet which is a complete nutritionally balanced feed and only provide the scratch mix as a treat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:38 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

These threads from the Husbandry Index may help

Rollaway Nest Boxes about 1/3 way down page
Problem with a rollaway Nest Box
See post about half way down the page
Stopping Egg Eating
More Roll away nest plans

NellyG