Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Letting a broody be broody

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,

Another question: I have 2 orpington/wyandotte hens who seem to go broody together fairly often. I have put eggs under one of them but I don't want to for the other as she just breaks them after a couple of days. I feel bad for her when I stick her in the sin bin as she just wants to have some babies, so I'm wondering is there any harm in just letting her be broody for a while and will she come out of it after a few weeks naturally (possibly when her girlfriend's chicks hatch seeing as they do everything together....)? I know I can only try and time will tell, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of hens coming out of it by themselves in a reasonable time frame, particularly this (cross)breed.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:50 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

I have a couple of silkies that I have given up trying to break, so when they are broody I just let them be. I get them off the nesttwice a day to make sure the eat and drink and they eventually come out of it. They do lose some contition though so need building up afterwards.

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

how aer you planning to go about this?

how many eggs does the other hen have under her?

are the hens going to be sitting in separate nests in separate areas (i presume so from you reference to the way the wayward one breaks eggs)?

are you going to give the other broody some of the chicks from the hen who hatches them out..................its not likely that they will raise the chicks together if they have been sitting separately. they are likely to fight over the chicks. you will need to keep them both in a separate area with their separate chicks.........its not pretty to see chicks in teh middle of two broody hens fighting, as i have discovered the hard way. sisterly instincts go out the window and motherly instincts come to the fore.

the sin bin is a hard thing to use, but i think it will be best in your current situation. there is no way to gaurantee that the two will successfully mother together.

if you let her sit she will EVENTUALLY break out of it, but it could be many weeks, and during this time they lose lots of condition and become weaker in constitution overall. good luck with your decision, but i prefer not to let hens sit on and on and on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:13 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

You could always leave her go to sit on some golf balls or fake eggs and when the other hen hatches the eggs, pinch a few of the chicks and pop them under her as an adoptive parent??

Ron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:18 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'm not planning on giving her any of the chicks and the other mother and her family will be by themselves whilst the chicks are young. I have put her in a separate box, just I'm interested in the phenomenon of this pair of hens doing everything together, including laying their eggs together (same box, same time) and going broody on the very same day (they've done this a few times now).

I'm hoping she will come out of the broodiness by herself - I'm wondering if she'll hop off the nest when the other one goes walkabout with chicks (they can see each other through wire). I guess I'll see how she goes and if I start to worry about her condition she will go straight to the sin bin. For now I am kicking her off each day to make sure she eats and drinks.

Does anyone else have hens that do EVERYTHING together?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Sounds like an interesting pair for observation over a long period of time. I have hens that will pair up as buddies for the day, and forage together all day. They're nothing like your pair though. They only do that from time to time, and they're not even close in the pecking order.

Elwood, head of the flock, pairs up sometimes with Tia, bottom of the flock usually, for the day as I've described above. I think it's for their mutual benefit, rather than a true "buddy" situation. Tia learns things fast by herself (ie. without human assistance), and Elwood has been known to take advantage of her skills. Tia gets the advantage of a bit of protection for the day, and less chance of being pushed off food she finds by the others.

If Elwood isn't fussed about pairing up with her for the day though, Tia is left to fend for herself, and Elwood won't step in to stop others if they want to push her about a bit (not that they do unless there's something really special on offer, and even then, relatively 'politely').

Winglet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:47 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I was going to suggest that you give her a couple of chickens too. It can be handy to have a spare mum.
I wouldn't let them sit together. I tried that experiment with 2 Sussex, with 10 eggs each. I ended up with 3 chicks which I gave to one of the mums. Lots of broken eggs, and a couple of dead hatched chicks. Never again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Elwood! I love that name :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:44 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

austrachook wrote:
Elwood! I love that name :lol:

I have two blue Australorp bantams. Jake & Elwood, after the Blues Brothers. :thumbs:

Jake is currently broody, and has been for a couple of weeks. I need her to hold on until my next incubator chicks hatch, around 18th December 2010, and I need to arrange accommodation for the rest of the flock so that Jake can be on her own with the chicks when I introduce them.

I'd love to breed from Elwood with an Australorp bantam rooster. If she passed on one tenth of her character she'd create some wonderful chicks.

Winglet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:29 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

austrachook wrote:
I have 2 orpington/wyandotte hens who seem to go broody together fairly often. I have put eggs under one of them but I don't want to for the other as she just breaks them after a couple of days. I feel bad for her when I stick her in the sin bin as she just wants to have some babies, ...
Hi austrachook,

it's a fact that some hens make good broody hens ... whereas others do not.

To overcome broodiness, place the bird in a cage/pen with no nesting material or eggs.
I find it only takes a few days.