Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Shayne's incubator shed underway!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Good thinking mate that should just about fix any water problems, barring anything involving Arks.

John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:59 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

:lol:
If i did it again i'd form up and lay a stepped slab so its more mechanical waterproofing but this will still do the trick very nicely :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:30 am 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

Looking great, you could move in there yrself :thumbs:

Gotta love Bunnings for building supplies :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

All of the nail holes filled and sanded smooth (what a mega job :shock: ), fascia and barge boards fitted and the whole shed painted in undercoat and two coats of Wattyl Solarguard "Cino" with my big airless sprayer, with "Antique White USA" hand painted on the fascias. These are the same colours we chose for the house, so it looks like a little outhouse (where Shayne will probably live most of the time anyway with her incubators and brooders full of crazy chicks) :lol:

Weather permitting, the gutters, roof insulation and roofing should be fitted by the end of the weekend :D

Last edited by Ruffled Feathers on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:01 pm 
Wise Gobbler
Wise Gobbler

Looks fantatic RF! I'm sure Shayne will love it! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Well the work has continued with the colorbond roof now finished complete with aluminium saking and insulation batting underneith :D
We went for some small Finnials which i designed and i think its looking good so far.
Now i'm lining the inside with insulation batting and 19mm thick waterproof yellowtongue sheeting.
Next will be hardwood barn doors, a few power points, some downpipes run to a small polly tank and drainage around the back and its done :D
Just in time for the E1s and brooders to turned on again :yipee:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:12 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

A bit of an update- i've had a little bit of time for some further work- all of the power cabling is run internally and half of the walls are filled with insulation and lined with yellow tongue board, so the electrician can connect the power points and lights which will be great :D

Well today is Sunday, and Shayne is off getting chooks and vaccines, so I spent the day with my father in law finally hanging the big barn style doors i made up over the last couple of weeks.
It took some research but i finally found some big heavy stainless steel parliament hinges, which allow the doors to sit into the door jam a little like normal, but open outwards and fold flat against the sides of the shed- right out of the way.
After a bit of trimming and adjusting, we got them aligned and fitted. It was a pretty dreary drizzling day, so it was great to do a productive days work :thumbs:

Next week i'll take them off and paint them along with the door jams (architraves), and fit the locks and handles. So close to being finished :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:03 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

You should get a Rooster crowing on the top of the roof; that would be sooo cool to finish it off such a great project!