Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chooks have been pinching rhubarb leaves - help!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I just caught Rosie the ISA poking her greedy head through the trellis and pulling off bits of rhubarb leaves!! I have been told the leaves are poisonous to people - what about chooks? Did a bit of a search on this and couldn't find a lot of info. Do I need to panic??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They are poisonous to chooks, but only if they eat enough of them. I wouldn't be too concerned as other have reported their chooks eating them with no problems. I would just adjust the fencing so they can't reach them in future and make sure they have access to acceptable greens a couple of times a week.

Fingers crossed for you!

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you Nelly. They do free range everyday in the afternoon, but she was actually really straining to get a peck at them - like they tasted so good! I will go out now and fix the fence in that yard before I let them in, as I don't want another chook getting sick!

Kerry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

My chooks trash my rhubarb regularly. I don't know why they think it's so good. They seem to be ok after a few years of it but granted, they only get access to that section of the pen once a week or so.

It's self-seeded and I keep thinking it's died, and then it comes back. Amazing ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Location: Nillumbik council (semi-rural outskirts of Melbourne)
the oxalic acid in the rhubarb leaf restricts iron and calcium intake... restrict access (maybe move the rhubarb plant) and throw them (chooks) some extra calcium and some meat cuttoffs over the next couple of weeks especially the calcium if they're laying and keep an eye on the shell quality as a gauge to their health