Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - coop by NSW DPI

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: coop by NSW DPI
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

gday

has anyone built the Coop designed by NSW Dept of Primary Industries and documented in the book

Building the Poultry Penthouse

by Gerry Bolla and Barry Rees

http://www.publish.csiro.au/pid/5857.htm

its a very good design and i was hoping someone has done it and can fill us in on it

thanks

Post subject: Re: coop by NSW DPI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:01 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

It looks like a fantastic design! I'd be interested to know if anyone's built this, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

It looks good, but I don't know about housing 12 - 15 chooks full time. If I had to keep them permanently in there, I'd have maybe 2 or 3 birds, perhaps up to 4 if bantams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Is there any detail on the design or just the book cover? It looks like it makes good use of a small space but it would be hard to say anymore without seeing details, particularly the size. Is it mentioned?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I agree that it is hard to judge whether it is say 2m long or 4m. I would hope it would be on the larger side given the estimations of how many birds it could hold. It does look quite neat though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

i got the book from the local library and made a copy although the 1st page is missing
its approx 1800x1800x1800
states it can hold approx 15 full time or 25+ (page missing) if free roaming
it certainly makes the most of limited materials

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Well according to me that make it 4.3 ( :lol: )large chooks you could keep in it (full time) as a maximum, and 6.5 bantams.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

yes i dont know why the nsw dpi would allow 15 adult birds to be kept in that full time,
anyhow i like the design but am thinking its cutting things fine as i am wanting 5 mid size hens fulltime grazing most weekend outside and occasionally for short periods during the week, anyone built this one?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

How limited is your space bigi? I haven't built it obviously but I would think the big advantage of that design is that it is two story over most of it, so double the floor space in a small area and double the space with not a great deal more materials. It looks like it would make accessing it to clean etc a bit of a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes I agree it is an excellent design with the ability to stand upright in the middle and access the roosting area and nest boxes relatively easily.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 pm 
One consideration with it's design... The chooks wont get very much sun.... and with the chooks scratching, in a few days there wont be a blade of grass left for them. For a fully covered scratching area, as a supposedly full-time coop, i think it's a poor design.
For hygene, grass growth, chook health and happiness, they need to get out in the sun... they need UV!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

valid points guys,

claudicles, space is not an issue, we have heaps of room

RF, i agree, however due to the 1200mm of rainfall a year where i live, the reduced ambient temperature, dampness at times, it is best i construct a coop that is fully roofed to maintain dry ground conditions, sunlight uva/uvb is best had via positioning the coop in a northerly direction to capture as much winter sun as possible and summer morning sun along with run of the yard at times as mentioned
i am just intrigued by its design and ability to utilize the most out of the materials
there are some very good ideas in this design that can also be modified to suit a different situation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:10 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

In the text it says:

"If birds are let out daily to free-range the 'Penthouse' can hold up to 25 birds, sleeping on the slatted floor at night. The 'Penthouse' will need to be securely closed at night to keep out foxes."

Which means it's only a night shelter for sleeping and being locked up. The "Penthouse" could be inside a big run. There doesn't seem to be a roost for that many, only sleeping on the slatted floor. It also could become quite hot in there in summer with 25 birds.

15 birds full time - and comfortably - is ridiculous !...... :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:21 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi
There seems to be a bit of negativity about the Poultry Penthouse on the forum with not too much objectivity/knowledge about the product ...

I just wanted to level the ship a bit.

Firstly, I have no connection with DPI or the design in any way.

It was originally designed as a moveable coop by a veteran breeder, then the design was modified by a carpenter for mass home production.

It has 1.8m square footprint but with that area again upstairs (a mezzanine level plus 5 hanging off the side nesting boxes). Roosting perches can be added above this.

It's designed for 10-12 birds mostly used closed or open free-ranging for 25 (apparently - I haven't read this in the booklet (which is $12 through Tocal College). It can be towed onto fresh ground as often s you like by tractor, pull lift or ride-on I suppose.

Sunlight is plentiful - one side is fully open to the sun. Other sides are open to a height of 700mm.

I have made a handful of lightweight portable coops which don't tend to last that well. This one is constructed of heavy treated timber and 2.5mm gal mesh and is gal bolted & Tek screwed together. A proper job - it should last a good number of years.

With luck it should keep out brown, black, carpet snakes, goannas, crows, kookaburras, butcher birds, wedge-tailed eagles, rats and quolls and possums as well as wild or malevolent domestic dogs and cats, dingoes ... that I've had have a go at my birds, their chicks or eggs over the years. I've delayed getting the plans, but halfway through construction, I'd say the PP outfit is a real winner for the birds and I.

I'd call it a small scale agricultural coop rather than a suburban backyard type, but it could do that as well.

If it all goes to hell in a hand-basket in the near future, I'll be the first to let you know.

Just my 2 cents worth :peece

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Basically, it looks to be well made, but a 1.8m footprint will not healthily hold that many large fowl.
Some of our coops are 2.4m square and we only run 6 in them, any more would be over crowding.

Of course you could put as many in as you like, but they will not be happy, healthy or loving life, their performance will be bad amongst other things.

Feather picking will be an issue, cannibalism also.

As stated above, 3-4 large fowl, tops.