Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - chicken adventure - its over :(

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all,

Been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks now - reading and more reading - who knew that chickens could be such facinating creatures! and such great advice about...

I would have to admit however, I built my chicken coop and run prior to finding this wealth of information, so I hope I havnt made too many mistakes! And where I have, you might help me salvage them :help:

It's also good to see a lot of other canberrians here too as we have a unique environment here :)

I'm getting my first lot of girls in 10 days - so im hoping to be ready for them! Will post details of what ive done shortly...

Thanks in advance

Greg

Last edited by fnbroken on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

So the Chook palace as it's been called by some...

Made out of a couple sleepers, an old pallet or two and some left over building materials (im in a new suburb of Canberra) I now have a coop which is raised off the ground and measures roughtly 1.2m(L)x1.1m(W)x1.2m(H).

It has 2 nesting boxes, a window for ventilation and a skylight made out of some leftover laserlight from the pergola build.

Attached is a chicken run that is 2.0mx5.0m, which is covered in chicken wire netting and is completely open to the elements (just a wire roof).

I found a feeder online (holds 25kgs) and some of these auto watering cup things that I have hooked up to some old water barrels I used for aging aquarium water. I have 3 cups - 2 outside and one inside the coop and a capacity of 80ltrs. I even hooked it up to catch the rainwater off the coop roof with leftover plumbing bits and pieces.

So - pictures speak louder than words....

Excuse the green paint - it was $10 from the Bunnings mistakes bin - couldnt go past 4ltrs of exterior paint for that price!

Thoughts or feedback would be great on the set-up and ideas for improvement or automation!

Cheers

Greg

Greg's Current Chicken Adventure
Greg's First Chicken Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:16 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What size are the holes in the chicken wire?? They look 40-50mm, you will be feeding a lot of sparrows, I'd be adding another layer of small holed wire/mesh/netting to keep the "flying mice" out,

Ron (Nothing wrong with Bunnings tint rejects!!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

From reading on the forum, other main equipment and supplies (non-food) I will need are:
1. Straw for the nesting boxes
2. Wood shavings for the coop floor (deep litter system)
3. Rice hulls for the chicken run. As im in a new suburb, all the trees are only a year old - so I cant expect to have many prunings for a year or two. Although i will have plenty of Sir Walter grass cuttings shortly. It's open so it will get very wet at times and I really realy dont want it to smell. Ive have read a couple threads here which have been very informative - but more direct advice is always helpful!
4. Pestene or similar.
5. I prefer natural forms of pest control, so I am looking into the ACV and garlic for worms and lice, as well as tansy and a wormwood shrubs for inside the coop.
6. poop scoop and buckets!

Some more good ideas in this thread... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8007627

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi, lovely little set up you have there.
And great that your coop and laying boxes are up off the ground, safe from foxes.
don’t forget to put something inside the coop to absorb the poo and smell. Like wood shavings or mulched bark. It will be a lot easier to clean. And hay for the laying boxes.
They also need to perch at night.
Plus something off the ground in the chook run, just get a big branch.
And birds need to be stimulated too, I sometimes throw a few large clumping grasses in the run for them to shred apart and even a small pile of hay to turn over, you can use your imagination they even like a branch of tree lucerne. There very busy creatures they try to pull everything apart and dig craters everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks Ron - I bought a 50m roll of the 5cm stuff from the local poultry shop and they said it would be fine - anything for a sale I guess.

I will keep an eye on the sparrows and if they become a problem then I will add the extra layer.

Many thanks

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:32 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Aussie Chook,

Will take a photo of the inside of the coop - there are two perches inside near the top of the coop. I dont have a door to the coop (they can go into the run whenever they like), so an additional perch outside might be nice for them if the weather is good.

Cheers

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

fnbroken - I think you've done a fantastic job. I love the way the house opens up for cleaning and catches its own water. I use those drinking cups too - best thing I ever installed.

Yes a couple of perches in the run is a good idea... even a good tree branch. When the ground is cold and frosty they'll enjoy getting up off it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

So - the most important thing! I forgot that i have 3 hyline ladies coming in a week - I think this is my first mistake - not to worry.

It's seems to be difficult to get pure breds in Canberra - so when these girls time is up, or maybe earlier, I would like to source some Australorps or RIR's - anyone from Canberra know where?

I think I can put 6-7 chooks in here comforatbly.

Cheers

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Fantastic they have two perches, now they are being spoiled :thumbs:
I hope you are able to lock them up at night because a fox will defiantly be able to dig under your chook run and get in. you can easily put a pop hole cover over the entrance of the coop. just a plank of wood that you can slide from top to bottom or side to side.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Fnbroken,
I like the idea of the roof having some clear part to it to let in the light. Good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

fnbroken wrote:
5. I prefer natural forms of pest control, so I am looking into the ACV and garlic for worms and lice, as well as tansy and a wormwood shrubs for inside the coop.

Don't put your entire faith in garlic and ACV. They may assist deter, but they wont cure a worm burden. And certainly won't cure external paracites.

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

NellyG wrote:
fnbroken wrote:

Don't put your entire faith in garlic and ACV. They may assist deter, but they wont cure a worm burden. And certainly won't cure external paracites.

NellyG

have to agree with nelly here. we only eat organic produce and meat we raise ourselves (or from friends), are into practising permaculture and bio-dynamics and i still have had to use chemical products on my birds. essentially we are forcing them to live in unnatural conditions, unable to move daily to fresh environments which would lead to a lesser parasite load, as such sometimes they get sick (esp commercial hybrids), best is to try reduce conditions which the pathogens and parasites grow in and supplement with natural products. if your getting AC vinegar make sure it has the Mother in it or its essentially useless. given a large selection of herbs and plants they will self medicate, but don't expect a few wormwood plants to survive in an enclosed coup lol they will annihilate them in no time ;) as they did here. welcome fnbroken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

The coop looks fantastic - you've done a brilliant job. The only thing I'd say is to agree that you either need to (a) lock them in the wooden house at night or (b) replace the chicken wire with stronger mesh with smaller holes (like 25mm x 25mm mesh with a wire gauge of at least 1.25mm) plus put similar mesh on the entire floor or a 40cm skirt of mesh round the outside of the coop. I'd do 'a' until you can manage 'b'. Canberra has stacks of foxes and unfortunately they would have no trouble biting through chicken wire. But other than that your coop is a triumph - it's a credit to you that you've done such a well-thought-out job first time around. Great job :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:45 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

a lovely looking coop, i don't think you have to worry too much about having built it before reading here................you have been quite innovative :P :thumbs:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next